• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos Reposted thanks to Ray Griffiths...

but of course dave i agree:D i take it that you know there are more of furnace lane on the furnace lane thread...such a treat to have photos of that

lyn

Yes it was the golden cross pub my old man ran it for the dodds family whom was the licencee,s
for many years my old man was william but i there say he was known as bill he started when he was 14 years old there and died when
he reached 42 years of age he also done all the reliefes for all the other surrounding pubs on aston road north and the surrounding
pubs and the one next to Hp SSauce oppersite Ansells and the corner shop facing in white which reads lathems
that was my grand parents the jelfs from about 1930 upwards ait went through every member of his family of brothers and it was grand father whom sold it to lathams and regarding the change over of the cross pub to oreillys that waa mr occonor
whom owns alot of pubs all over the country today and still in digbeth plus he bought the tower ballroom as well but since then he as sold it on to an asian community he still owns the kerryman plus in digbeth today
best wishes Astonian,, Alan,,

6 Ways Aston.jpg

I know some of the pictures in my folders have been posted before but I would not know where to look for confirmation so I will just post and Vivienne will/can delete where applicable.

Hi Sticher thats a great bit of history and knowledge of it i lived on the victoria road but many years before my time
and a great photograph i hope viv comes up trumps best wishes to you all Alan Astonian

Hi Sticher thats a great bit of history and knowledge of it i lived on the victoria road but many years before my time
and a great photograph i hope viv comes up trumps best wishes to you all Alan Astonian

Hello Alan, if something I post makes you happy it is my pleasure.

thats a nice photo pedro....wonder where the exact location of the board offices were

lyn

That would be the old Aston public offices on Albert Road, shown in red. It is still there

map c 1889 showing aston public offices albert road.jpg old aston public offices albert road. c2016.jpg

I've just had a wander through these again, I note that Victor and Sheila Biddles (My cousin) chemist shop photo has been listed incorrectly as Phillips Street, looks as though the titles have been switched with other photos on the same page. Biddles were in Potter's Hill.

hi eric i think this was due to us losing them because photobucket withdrew all photos posted on the forum so they needed re posting...no probs just a slight error when they were reposted so later on i will rectify the wrong captions..thanks for pointing it out eric:)i will also check all of the photos just in case

lyn

Last edited:
If you like you can add this to the post Lyn it's my cousin Victor Biddle, the chemist, as he was during WW2, or post it elsewhere if you think appropriate.

Attachments

• Victor Biddle.jpg
    Victor Biddle.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 24
thanks eric now thats a nice bit of extra info to go with the biddle shop photo...i will certainly add it tonight as i am busy this afternoon....

lyn

hello john lost my bearings a bit:D what church is that we see so close to park road??

smashing photo of lichfield road as well..thanks for posting

lyn

I wonder what a No. 2 Erdington tram is doing going down Park Rd, that is a No. 3X route to Witton (used it many times) ?. That pic was taken from Park Rd/Victoria Rd showing Aston Church, St Peter and St Pauls in the distant. The 2 ladies on the right (by the parked van) look very much like my late wife and her younger sister (my sister in law who I am going to Malta with tomorrow, she is now 83). They lived a few hundred yards away in Vicarage Rd, I will down load it and show it her tomorrow, see what she thinks. What year was pic taken ? Eric

Aston Church Lyn....

thanks john i thought it must be but did not think we would see it from park road mind you i am no judge of distance lol..

hi eric hope you and edna have a good holiday:)....by the way the no 2 tram is also in the lichfield road photo on post 293 which i am guessing would be correct if it was on its way to erdington

lyn

Eric has referred to the Park Road 3X route and like him I have been puzzled about a route 2 Erdington car being there. I guess, as has been suggested it, is heading for Witton tram depot. Car 645, built in 1924 lasted until the end of trams in the city. In front of the tram is a crossover, used by cars accessing Victoria Road for Lichfield Road. The livery is in the post 1946 version but noting the bus stop on the lamp post suggests it is after January 1950 when the 3X became the 39 bus route. The small van to the left of the tram is also a post war registration, 1946 I believe. Also any traces of wartime - white bottom painted standards etc. have gone.

Back