• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston hippodrome

Not too sure the bit about M&B was too popular in Aston.:laughing: Anyway the old ads for the Aston Hippodrome are quite interesting.

Good stuff there, Rob. As far as I know, his son John is still alive, but I haven't been back to the UK since 2014. I'll check with a mate over there tomorrow.

Maurice :cool:

While I was in the Scouts, St Mary's 120th. A few from each troop would play in the annual Gang Show which was put on each year. It seemed we practiced a lot and spent a lot of time been acts in pretty seedy dressing rooms (of course we did not have star rooms), there were 8 or 10 of us in each room. Never did go to the Aston Hip to see anything though!

While I was in the Scouts, St Mary's 120th. A few from each troop would play in the annual Gang Show which was put on each year. It seemed we practiced a lot and spent a lot of time been acts in pretty seedy dressing rooms (of course we did not have star rooms), there were 8 or 10 of us in each room. Never did go to the Aston Hip to see anything though!
I remember being in the first Bham Gang Show at the Hippodrome, I think it was 1968. We would rehearse in Bradford street (I think) at the same place as 'Crossroads' rehearsals. It was wonderful being on at the Hip, lol. Ralph Readers son directed it with....I think somebody from tv called Coleman was also involved in directing. I have the programme somewhere. There was a cabaret club next door to the rehearsal place in Bradford St, the dancers were lovely a few came and had their photo taken with a few scouts including me for gang show publicity in the evening mail. Of course my mom and dad came to see it. It would be wonderful if others have memories of this time. It was boys and girls event. I was a member of the 89 Hall Green Troop - My cub and scout years were so fabulous. I have looked for anything about other cub/scout members from the 89 Hall Green Troop on this site but unfortunately nothing...yet!
I have just googled 'First Bham Gang Show' - hoping for something from 1968ish. Nothing. I am certain it was not all in my imagination, lol. I will have to try and find my programme from the event and will then post if I can.

Last edited:
I remember being in the first Bham Gang Show at the Hippodrome, I think it was 1968. We would rehearse in Bradford street (I think) at the same place as 'Crossroads' rehearsals. It was wonderful being on at the Hip, lol. Ralph Readers son directed it with....I think somebody from tv called Coleman was also involved in directing. I have the programme somewhere. There was a cabaret club next door to the rehearsal place in Bradford St, the dancers were lovely a few came and had their photo taken with a few scouts including me for gang show publicity in the evening mail. Of course my mom and dad came to see it. It would be wonderful if others have memories of this time. It was boys and girls event. I was a member of the 89 Hall Green Troop - My cub and scout years were so fabulous. I have looked for anything about other cub/scout members from the 89 Hall Green Troop on this site but unfortunately nothing...yet!
I have just googled 'First Bham Gang Show' - hoping for something from 1968ish. Nothing. I am certain it was not all in my imagination, lol. I will have to try and find my programme from the event and will then post if I can.
The first Handsworth Gang Show was staged on 21st December 1953, at the then-famed Aston Hippodrome in Birmingham

The first Handsworth Gang Show was staged on 21st December 1953, at the then-famed Aston Hippodrome in Birmingham

[/QU

RobT, absolutely correct. I was a part of St Mary s 120th scouts and was in the Gang Show for about 3 years at the Aston Hippodrome In the mid 50’s!

Thanks for these guys. Its not the 1968ish gang show though. Birmingham Gang show at Birmingham Hippodrome.

Thanks for these guys. Its not the 1968ish gang show though. Birmingham Gang show at Birmingham Hippodrome.
It's not the right show but altogether now
We're riding along on the crest of a wave ..........................

Last edited:
I can remember rolling along on the crest of a wave in Sutton back in the fifties, somewhere in the junk I am sorting at the moment I have the progamme, whether it was a local effort or organised by Reader I cannot remember.

BOB

I can remember rolling along on the crest of a wave in Sutton back in the fifties, somewhere in the junk I am sorting at the moment I have the progamme, whether it was a local effort or organised by Reader I cannot remember.

BOB
Bob, pretty sure it was Reader!
Great recall....

My first post on here, and I'm not sure if this is the place to post it but.....
I was looking for info, posters etc. on the Aston Hippodrome.

My Father was a percussionist (played drums, xzylophone, glokenspiel, tubular bell etc.) and played a lot in the orchestra pit at the hippodrome.

I have a collection of about 100 photographs of various artists, all autographed to my dad and stating "Aston Hippodrome" and the date.

Just wondered if anyone else had an interest in the theatre.
I have just picked out your post whilst doing research for the Aston Hip. My dad worked there also, on the lighting, I also have 2 albums full of stars pictures signed to him, including Laurel & Hardy.

Susan, Hi! Can I point you in the direction of "Keep Variety Alive" a facebook page. In it there are a lot of old timers (like myself) who either performed at The Aston Hipp, or have memories of it, that you might enjoy. Perhaps, post something on there and you never know who could see it. Thanks. gerry

We lived by the hippo and walked a thousand time passing it only went in once and that was a young lady teacher from the infants side went around and came to our houses and asked would she let her take us in there to jack and the bean stalk
there was about 12 kids i was about 8 years old and she bought us all ice cream and never been in since
it would be his birthday today bless him RIP MATE

My first post on here, and I'm not sure if this is the place to post it but.....
I was looking for info, posters etc. on the Aston Hippodrome.

My Father was a percussionist (played drums, xzylophone, glokenspiel, tubular bell etc.) and played a lot in the orchestra pit at the hippodrome.

I have a collection of about 100 photographs of various artists, all autographed to my dad and stating "Aston Hippodrome" and the date.

Just wondered if anyone else had an interest in the theatre.

Hi Badger. Gerry here. I have been in the business for a very long time, and worked for all the main TV Broadcasters, appearing in many series. May I point you to a web site/facebook page called: KEEP VARIETY ALIVE. it has strict rules about joining, but for the genuine lover of all things THEATRE, you would be admitted. Once in, ask your questions on there, and you will be surprised how many people could answer your questions. Thanks Badger. By the way, I used to go with my parents to the Aston Hipp every Wednesday night ( this was in the early fifties, before the last knockings of Variety and STRIP SHOWS came along) and I used to watch a drummer there, he had a face disfigurement, but I loved watching him play the drums. At the end of every performance, God Save The Queen was played very quickly, followed by three bars of "Sing As We Go"...and then a dash by the whole band across to the Bartons Arms. Cheers! Gerry

Back