• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston hippodrome

Hi Folks - yet another shot of the facade, but wait! A poster as well - Larry Grayson well down the bill.
Of 1958 vintage, when no self-respecting lady would be seen at large without her headscarf.
All you lady readers out there (of a certain age) - at what point did wearing a headscarf become obligatory? Was it perhaps a question of status (marital?)?
Regards,
Peg.
Aston Hip.jpg

shame the old hip is not longer with us..i know for sure our mom wore a headscarf during the 50s and 60s..think it must have been to keep the perms in lol...still see a few dotted about even now

lyn

Hi Folks - yet another shot of the facade, but wait! A poster as well - Larry Grayson well down the bill.
Of 1958 vintage, when no self-respecting lady would be seen at large without her headscarf.
All you lady readers out there (of a certain age) - at what point did wearing a headscarf become obligatory? Was it perhaps a question of status (marital?)?
Regards,
Peg.
View attachment 113590
I like the prices, threepence ha'penny for the royal stalls. :)

Thanks, Dave, I hadn't studied the pic that closely, these were often in the middle of traffic islands, as I recall, together with ladies and gents underground loos.
Peg.

Thanks, Dave, I hadn't studied the pic that closely, these were often in the middle of traffic islands, as I recall, together with ladies and gents underground loos.
Peg.
I guess that if you didn't know it was there Peg, you would have no idea what it was. This was the first time that I had seen it or part of it in any other pictures of the "HIP". This area was central to our world back then. The Bartons, the Globe, the Bingo and the baked spud cart were all here.
Dave A

post 3 also shows the horses trough and i think there should be at least another 1 photo on this thread that also shows it...i remember it well..

Looks like the Hippo was on it's downward slope:(
" Tit Bits of Variety" " Girls Dancing" " Posing" "Glamour Girls"

Last edited:
Looks like the Hippo was on it's downward slop:(
" Tit Bits of Variety" " Girls Dancing" " Posing" "Glamour Girls"
Hi Frothblower, not sure these were negatives, the stage at The Hip could well have been the starting point for me becoming interested in girls.
Regards,
Peg.

I heard it was basically a strip joint at the end. Sad end for a brilliant theatre.
Hi Frothblower, I'm afraid evolution operates in all areas, live theatre was trying to survive as best it could against that new fangled invention, then, the cinema, which in turn fell victim to Bingo and television. Some of the cinemas were converted to 10 pin bowling, I remember the one on the corner of Chester Road and Gravelly Lane, Sutton Coldfield, the site ultimately became housing.
Regards,
Peg.

Fire at Aston Hip in 1939. More details attached below. Viv.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 6
I'm surprised too Lyn. The damage looks dreadful, yet they invested £30, 000 in rebuilding. As you know, we've seen buildings in better nick get demolished in the blink of an eye. Viv.

My only memories with the Aston Hippodrome , back in the 50's I went there with my Mother at some stage of the programme there was a trapeze act and the flyer as they are called fell straight down onto the stage we left immediately I think everybody did in fact. Then in the 80's when it was converted to a bingo /snooker hall, my younger son and I used it for snooker . Then when the demolitition balls were knocking it down I had some of the wood to build a fence around my veg in the garden just up from The Shareholders Arms

Back