• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston hippodrome

hi folks...a few pics of aston hip...such a pity its no longer there....

astonhip2.jpg

the great laurel and hardy when they appeared at the hip....bartons arms in the background...

laurelhardybartons1a.jpg

I used to get off the 51 at the Hip in New Town Row on my way to Nan's shop at Gt Russell St, so that I could look at the photo's advertising the strippers, at the Hip.Am I dreaming or did I see Max Bygraves there when I ws a Kid.

Hi All,

As a constable at Aston Police Station in the 1950s I was for a time attached to the plain clothes department (not to be confused with CID) In those days the Force came under the control of the Watch Committee and one of our duties was to attend the first house at the Hippodrome every Monday and ensure that the nudes stayed absolutely still. If they dd not it would have been reported to the Watch Committee and the Hippodrome would have been in trouble. I did not see Laurel and Hardy but I dd see Morecambe and Wise when they were on their way up. L and H were on their way down when they appeared at the Hippodrome. I must admit that I have had worse jobs.

Old Boy

When I was a child, I used to be taken to the Aston Hippodrome every Saturday night. The folks I lived with had what they called their 'own seat's' in the front circle. We saw many stars of the day. It was either a variety or a revue, they probably alternated. There used to be topless models posing as statue's or sitting on a glittering moon, I rememer it would have been illegal for them to move. We always got really poshed up to go to the theatre and I loved that.

Hi All,

As a constable at Aston Police Station in the 1950s I was for a time attached to the plain clothes department (not to be confused with CID) In those days the Force came under the control of the Watch Committee and one of our duties was to attend the first house at the Hippodrome every Monday and ensure that the nudes stayed absolutely still. If they dd not it would have been reported to the Watch Committee and the Hippodrome would have been in trouble. I did not see Laurel and Hardy but I dd see Morecambe and Wise when they were on their way up. L and H were on their way down when they appeared at the Hippodrome. I must admit that I have had worse jobs.

Old Boy

Sorry Old Boy, I seem to have repeated what you said.

Hi Folks

I remember seeing Jane i think it used to be in the Daily Mirror , she got in and out of bath behind a screen it was in the 1950's

I saw her too Ray, I had forgotten about that. We always had one of her calendars hanging over the mantlepiece in the old back to backs..very risque. also saw Max Miller, now I was too young to understand his jokes, so I laughed when all the adults did.

I saw Phyllis Dixey and her Revue Show at the Aston Hipp. I knew someone who was appearing in the show (male and clothed, I hasten to add)!

My Father appeared at the Aston Hippodrome in a variety show called 'Piccadilly Hayride'. It ran w/c 15th June 1953. Terry Scott was the star and was supported by his 'straight man' a very young Bill Maynard. My Father was in a supporting act, a close harmony quartet called 'The Cavaliers of Song'. The show also feature 'The Piccadilly Nudes', so we can imagine 'The Old Boy' doing his duty that week! I've attached a handbill of the same show that played in Lincoln on the same tour.Handbill from Lincoln1953.jpg

I'd be delighted if anyone has any memorabilia from that show. i'm trying to build up a bit of a collection for family history purposes.

Hi Bob, I used to go to the "Aston Hip" quite often pre WWII with my Mom when Dad was working shifts,but now my local Theatre is the "Theatre Royal" Lincoln, which is still going strong.
Regards Reg

img656.jpg
Aston Hippodrome was in the proccess of being demolished at the time of this photo. 1980.The venue closed in 1964 after the first opening in 1908.

Back