• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston hippodrome

My first post on here, and I'm not sure if this is the place to post it but.....
I was looking for info, posters etc. on the Aston Hippodrome.

Thought you might be interested in this photo of the Aston Hipp., c.1930, I have from the family album (not sure why it's there, but...)

Let me know if you require a full-sized scan of the photo - this was just conveniently lurking on my hard drive. Not sure who took it, so unattributable with regard to copyright.

John,

What a magic photograph.
And some of us are meeting up at The Barton Arms a week this Saturday.

Ann

another brillient pic john...must show it to dad as i would imagine this is how he would remember laurel and hardy from when he chatted to them in the bartons...

cheers...

lyn:):):)

Great photo John of the pair of funny men. Pete said do you remember Jayne from the hip but no photo's please?. Jean.

I lived around the corner from the Hippodrome, in Alma St. The last time I saw the Hippodrome it was a Bingo Hall, I think. I left Birmingham 40 years ago. There used to be some good nights in the old place. The Barton Arms used to serve up a good pint too.

I went to the " The Aston" Hippodrome a couple of times but I cannot remember who I saw I think it was for Panto's am I correct in that.
Paul

Paul I think they even had wrestling or boxing at some time and the odd stripper?. Jean.
Jean & Paul they had the lot Morecombe & Wise Laral & Hardy and many many more including thde Strippers & Wrestling

Am off to bed now Alf but have been looking through an old book and it has list of people who were performing on a particular night. I will write them on the thread tomorrow and the entrance price at the time. Jean.

hello al, anyone remember Chopper Conroy the ref for the wrestling at the Aston Hipp? i only went there once, but didnt there used to be a dance held next door? i think the dancehall was called the Black Cat?

shardeen

A typical night's entertainment. "Tit Bits" The Hedley Ward Trio, Checker Wheel, Yvette Lake and Rose,Lorna Ansells Astons own glamour girls, Larry Grayson and Verdini Zodias. These would perform twice nightly and the cost ranged from 4/- 3/- 2/- 3/6 depending on where you were seated. Oh the balcony [unreserved] 1/6. Jean.

Alf I am going to get a magnifying glass as I can't make it out. It has week commencing Monday the 10th Feb. Just make out 1958 Alf. Jean.

Back