• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston hippodrome

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
My older brother related this story to me many years ago.
It was in the early fifties and he was having a drink in a pub in the city centre.
One of his mates came in looking all excited and said " I have just been talking to Laurel and Hardy "
My brother replied sarcastically " Yeah, cause you have, and if you had been five minutes quicker, you would have seen me having a drink with James Cagney"
A few days later my brother found out that Laurel and Hardy were apearing at the Hippodrome.

NUFF SAID !

Would this have been something that changed depending on year? I wonder what year your looking at Sid

I remember paying 4/0d for my first ever seat in the Stalls but when it could have been? maybe just before my National Service in 1955 :)

My first post on here, and I'm not sure if this is the place to post it but.....
I was looking for info, posters etc. on the Aston Hippodrome.

My Father was a percussionist (played drums, xzylophone, glokenspiel, tubular bell etc.) and played a lot in the orchestra pit at the hippodrome.

I have a collection of about 100 photographs of various artists, all autographed to my dad and stating "Aston Hippodrome" and the date.

Just wondered if anyone else had an interest in the theatre.

wellcome badger
if you click on the SEARCH box next to todays posts.type in aston hippodrome.there is loads of information.

Thanks for the redirection Winston, found some good stuff incling a pic of my dad on stage with the orchestra.

Hi Badger would you have a thought about posting some of you Aston Hipp stuff to use on the website, I am asking because we rely on people like your helping out with Aston and Birmingham history we would acknowlage your contributions
John Houghton

Thanks for the answers folks, and John, I don't mind posting a few pic's up if it helps others, however, you will need to wait a week or two as I have to address some scanning problems (like...I need one!!)

I think I may have been a little hasty in my assumptions about the phot of the orchestra......in hindsight......The date is a little too late and when I zoom into the pic I don't thing it is my old man, but I do have some pics of him in the orchestra and will post some soon.

OK John

Now got my scanner probs sorted and will attempt to upload a few pics related to aston Hip. (be patient with me.)

Snake Hips Johnson by the way was killed during the war, he was on stage with his band at,I believe, the "talk of the town" London, (not sure) when it was bombed) you can Google for more info.

This pic is of my Dad (far left) with a quintet (I think in Hong Kong or India)

Thanks for sharing this with us badger. The photos are really good especially the one of the band with your Dad!

Great photos badger. When you see a photo signed 1940 you have a picture of very brave young people still entertaining when the sirens were going. As you told us, sadly some died in the theatre. It gives new meaning to 'The Show Must Go On'

Back