• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston hippodrome

My first post on here, and I'm not sure if this is the place to post it but.....
I was looking for info, posters etc. on the Aston Hippodrome.

My Father was a percussionist (played drums, xzylophone, glokenspiel, tubular bell etc.) and played a lot in the orchestra pit at the hippodrome.

I have a collection of about 100 photographs of various artists, all autographed to my dad and stating "Aston Hippodrome" and the date.

Just wondered if anyone else had an interest in the theatre.
Hi I’ve been told my great grandad was in the orchestra played the trumpet this would have been about 1910ish would there be any posters or other information round about the time 1910 to 1920

Hi I’ve been told my great grandad was in the orchestra played the trumpet this would have been about 1910ish would there be any posters or other information round about the time 1910 to 1920
My first post on here, and I'm not sure if this is the place to post it but.....
I was looking for info, posters etc. on the Aston Hippodrome.

My Father was a percussionist (played drums, xzylophone, glokenspiel, tubular bell etc.) and played a lot in the orchestra pit at the hippodrome.

I have a collection of about 100 photographs of various artists, all autographed to my dad and stating "Aston Hippodrome" and the date.

Just wondered if anyone else had an interest in the theatre Hi do you have a Burt Attwell autograph he was a trumpet player in the orchestra around the time 1910 1920 thanks

I well remember going on the tram to the Aston "Hip" on my own when I was only thirteen, so thirty years later and upon hearing the old place was being knocked down, I thought I should show my gratitude for all those wonderful nights 'sat up in the gods', soon to be gone forever.

I therefore had the honour to be the last "performer" on stage at the Aston Hippodrome whilst it was being demolished. It was on September the 18th 1980, and having contacted The Birmingham Mail, by arrangement I did my rendition of Leaning in a Lampost, complete with ukelele. The deputy Lord Mayor was there, along with the Birmingham theatre expert Derek Salberg.

And so passed into legend yet another icon of Birmingham's once proud heritage, and sadly, it looks like the Barton's Arms could now well suffer the same fate.

Last edited:
I remember going on the tram to the Aston "Hip" on my own when I was only thirteen at a time when Birmingham was being ravaged by so-called redevelopers, so upon hearing the old place was to be knocked down I thought I should show my gratitude for all those wonderful nights 'sat up in the gods', soon to be gone forever.

I therefore had the honour to be the last "performer" on stage at the Aston Hippodrome whilst it was being demolished. It was on September the 18th 1980, and having contacted The Birmingham Mail, by arrangement I did my rendition of Leaning in a Lampost, complete with ukelele. The deputy Lord Mayor was there, along with the Birmingham theatre expert Derek Salberg.

And so passed into legend yet another icon of Birmingham's once proud heritage, and sadly, it looks like the Barton's Arms could now well suffer the same fate.
A wonderful story, with a very sad ending. As you may have read I appeared there with my troupe back in the fifties, when the last knockings of Variety Theatre could be heard. The same fate took the Derby Hipp, and a lot of others, Amazing talent worked at these lovely theatres....never to come again.

Back