• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Hippodrome Revue

M

maggie

Aston Hippodrome Revue,

Can anyone help.When did the Aston Hippodrome first start presenting naked ladies in revues.I remember going with my parents, my mother thought she was to see a typical varity show and was rather disgusted to be confronted with :Vulgar Ladies: her words noit mine.
Maggie

Thank you Brummie,
Another great site, with terrific information on the Aston Hippodrome. With memories of some Great Performers. It,s hard to imagine Judy Garland appearing there as did Morcambe and Wise and with seat price to suit all pockets. Thats Nostalgia
Maggie

Maggie, I WENT TO THE ASTON HIP IN THE 50S WITH SOME SCHOOL PALS THINKING AS YOUR MOM DID, THE SHOW I THINK WAS CALLED FRED KARNO'S ARMY?
TO OUR DELIGHT THE SHOW INCLUDED "JANE" of THE DALLY MIRROR FAME,(SHE HAD VERY DISCREET OSTERICH FANS WERE IT WAS NEEDED) I THINK THEY SOLD OUT OF ALL THE OPERA GLASS'S THAT NIGHT!
"NEVER TOLD OUR MUM'S WERE WE HAD BEEN"

A few of us lads would go to the Aston Hip one night from work. We used to tank up in the 'Barton's Arms' first, then sit through the first half, dash to the pub for a top-up in the interval and back for the performance. We particularly enjoyed the stand-up comdians, of which the resident at that time was Terry 'Toby Jug' Cantor. They were often quite appreciative of the banter we used to give back, because an lot in the audience weren't there for the humour. They certainly had the girls on show at that time, but they were only allowed to strip completely if they didn't move at all. It wasn't a very illuminating show as I remember, the girls always looked awkward and embarrassed, with no charm or finesse. And the dancing girls wore terrrible costumes which looked as if they'd been made at home, out of old undies. Apart from the comedians it was a very tawdry show, but we could book a box for a quid, and that seated six in comfort. I have as feeling that at half-time we decided on one night to stay in the 'Barton's Arms', because the show was so poor.
Anyway, I'll be in there again this Saturday!
Peter

Aston Hippodrome Revues

I went to the Aston Hipp on numerous occasions but never to the revues, but from the pictures in the glass fronted boxes outside and the advertising, it would seem Pauline Penny, was the lead artiste.

Those memories are funny Peter and I can just imagine it. It seems just about everyone knew that the models at the Aston Hip couldn't move during their revue shows I think it was some ruling by the Lord Chamberlain's act at that timel that brought it about and therefore people had heard about what went on in general.
The bit about the dance costumes and dancers sounds appropo for those times. What about Raymond's Revue Bars...When did they start up and I expect they must have been started later on and had different rules? It looks as though they were really thriving for many years.

My parents did the same as yours Maggie, and thought it was variety. My dad didn't have a great sense of humour, but he did laugh whenever he told the story.:)

Naked Laddies at the Hipp

Sylvia I managed to find this Hippodrome Poster

Thanks for putting the poster on the site Rod. Ray told me a tale of Pauline Penny - back in the 1950s on Christmas Eve some of the traders went to the Bartons Arms for a drink together, and in the interval from the Hipp, Pauline Penny and some of her girls popped over for a drink, the crowd kept asking her to do a "turn" so she slipped off her mac and climbed on to a table to oblige, it happened to be the one Ray was sitting at, he reckoned she must have been all of 50 years old, with quite a lined face made worse by the heavy stage make up, anyway the men at his table had to move back slightly and a chap named George fell off his stool, banged his head on the fireplace and was knocked out cold.

No-one has mentioned the wrestling at the hippodrome, or have i got it wrong i thought that was where we would go on a Tuesday or Thursday night. will some-one please correct me.

I can remember posters outside the Hipp advertising wrestling Catkin, and one in particular for Billy Two Rivers.

Thank you Rod, glad to know i did not imagine it, i have just thought of the wrestler Hanze Striegar, he would come to the corner of the ring and do the nazi salute needless to say everyone went bonkers. all good fun. Happy days. Billy Two Rivers as you can imagine wore a head dress of feathers he would dance around the ring like a south American indian Catkin.

Last edited by a moderator:
To go back to Maggies first post about Strip-tease at the Aston Hipp.....here is newspaper ad July 1958

Aston Hipp.

I remember going to the Aston Hippodrome in the late fifties and The Phyllis Dixey Show was playing. As was said, the 'artistes' couldn't move when on stage, covered by ostrich feathers and artistically draped in set tableaux! I only went to see a friend of mine who was doing an act where he posed (in swim trunks) and lifted his lady partner, showing off his muscles. In the show he was billed as Roy Le Vaq - his real name was Stanley Howlett :D and he'd just left the touring production of South Pacific (in the chorus with Sean Connery!). I also saw Bruce Forsyth around the same time, he was bottom of the bill.

Charlie you certainly had some fun in your youth didn't you! I can't beleive you had a friend called Roy Le Vaq:D anyway great story. I notice on Cromwell's advert there was David Whitfield. I saw him at the Cresta Club in the 70's I don't know how old he was but when he started singing Drink Drink, Drink we had a great night! He spilt most of it.

Hi Moma
We Used To Go To The Crester Club Often
David Witfield May Have Spilt He Beer
But He Was An Highly Proffessiomal Trained
Operative Singer
He As Sold Thousands Of Records
I Was Wondering Whether He His Still Alive Today
When He Was Young ,and I Was Young
I Lived Next Door To A Guy Called Johnie Hollond,
And He Was An Hardend Fan Of Witfield,and This Johnie
Could Sing High Notes And His Songs Just Like David
You Did,t Want To Go Around To Complain
It Was A Pleasure To Hear Him Sing
Incidently My Mother Danced At The Aston Hipp
As A Stage Dancer For The Harry Levine Dance Troupe
In The Early Days Of The Hipp;
Many Years Ago I Believe The Digbeth Civic Hall Was A Club
In The Thirties , And I Leart She Dance There As Well
If Cromwell Or One Of Our Researcher Could Tell Me The Name
Of It Then ,i Would Be Very Grateful Thanks
Have A Nice Day Everybody , Astonian ;;;

Astonian are you Thinking of The Bordseley Palace ? in High St which looked like the Civic Hall and closed just before the war

Don't misunderstand me Astonian I thought David Whitfield was a wonderful singer. What I meant was when he sung Drink he used to sway a glass of beer in front of him and the audience would duck as it flew out of the glass. It was a brilliant show. How wonderfull to have a mother who danced at the Hip I love the theatre.

Back