• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Hippodrome Revue

Thanks to Moma & David Whitfield Web site I found a great site, its Brill thats Saturday wrapped up
https://www.andmas.co.uk/

Can somebody look at this site and tell me what they think

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the link to the Aston Hippodrome site.....the picture of the orchestra on stage........I'm sure that's my dad at the back he was the drummer and played the tubular bells etc. I have loads of old pics of him on stage at various theatres, but the Aston Hippodrome was a frequent venue.
(in the days before striptease I hasten to add :D)

Aston hippodrome

Just been looking at Rods play bill for the Aston Hip. Duggie Chapman was among the acts, I believe he is still around in Blackpool, presenting shows.

I'm still in the business, and have friend who was part of the Comedy team: KIRBY & HAYES. They appeared at The Aston Hipp in those shows featuring the striptease artistes. His real name is Sid Joseph and he was Sid Kirby. he's getting on now, but is great to talk to about the old theatres. He also appeared at The Windsor Theatre in Bearwood.

Alf. i browsed and found that site long, long ago i thought it was a great site thanks for posting it, i had completly forgotten it. Len.

Maggie, I took my Mom to see Judy Garland at the Birmingham Hippodrome 1951, Judy gave a fabulous performance she was electric!, she had her daughter Lisa watching, she would have been 5yrs of age. Len.

Len I would love to have seen Judy, I was still at school in '51 but if I'd known she was at the Hippodrome I think my mom would have wanted to see her too.

My mom used to work behind the bar at the Theatre Royal in Birmingham, I have quite a few of her signed photo's of people that used to be on there. She used to tell me lots of stories about Gracie Fields and her hubby ?? Wilcox. Anybody got any memories of this place?

Patty, Bit mixed up with Gracie Fields husband, No1- Archie Pitt, 2- Monty Banks (Italian), 3- Boris Alperovici they lived on Capri until his death, she died years later on Capri, i think Anna Neagle was married to Desmond Wilcox?. Len.

My granddad had a theatre in Selby, Yorkshire, between about 1910 - 1920, and Gracie Fields often appeared in Revues there, such as "Mr Tower of London" and "Happy Days". Archie Pitt who ran the Revues lived with Gracie for a while before marrying her. She was 18 then. Her brother Tommy also joined the show. They got their first London date at the "Met" Music Hall, and Gracie never looked back. She left Archie and married Monty. She got in bad books with the British public cos she left England and went to America during the war years. She later left Monty and married Boris.
(Abbreviated from my Dad's notes)

Judy

Di.Poppitt, If you had been there the night i was you would shared a night never to be forgotten, Judy took 3 encore curtain calls on the third one, she sat on edge of the stage and said "If you want more i`m going nowhere any requests?." (or words similar). And she sang on, by this time it was getting late and my Mom and I had to leave regretfully to catch our last bus, we had just had a magic night, my Mom is RIP now, i have never experienced entertainment to match it since. Len.

Not that I ever visited the Aston Hip in the old days, but I seem to recall that one of most popular strippers was a lady by the name of Rhoda Rogers. Anyone remember her?

My old man saw Laurel & Hardy at the Hip very soon after the end of the War, and local legend is that they stayed at The Barton Arms over the road.

The nearest I ever got to the Aston Hip was when I was auditioned - and failed- for a Boy Scouts Gang Show in the 1950's. Well, if they couldn't see real talent when it was in front of them, that was their problem...

Big Gee

Hello Big gee,
Rhoda Rogers, There was a Rhoda Rogers revue bar at six ways Aston. I don't know much more, other than it was a home for strippers, and i was not one of them. Far to young.Regards... Cat

Back