• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

ASTON HIPPODROME-DOCTOR DEATH

D

DAVE BRICK

We used to go the the wrestling shows at the Aston Hippodrome in the 60 s. Does anyone remember Doctor Death, he used to fight with a black mask on and if he got beaten his opponent could remove the mask. Well we never saw it happen. We saw him get beat once and thought, at last we are going to see what he looks like. He was flat out and just as they were going to take it off, the ref announced that his opponent 'felt sorry' for Doctor Death and he would be leaving his mask on.

What got me was if we really wanted to see what he looked like, we could have waited at the side door for him to come out. [and then took his mask off !]

... and then there was The Undertaker and The Laughing Cavalier. The latter used to sit on the top rope and laugh when he'd done something dastardly to his opponent.
Mad%20Jester.gif

On one occasion when he fell off his perch we laughed and stamped our feet so much in the gods that the plaster fell off the ceiling below, resulting in us being evicted. Weren't we easily pleased with a bit of entertainment in those days?
z7shysterical.gif

WOMENS FAVOURITE

That was another wrestler to make regular appearances at the Aston Hipp, JUDO-AL-HAYES. He really fancied himself and so did all the women in the audience. Tanned torso, rippling muscles and tight pants. I bet he had'nt got a clue about judo though.

About 1955 I was living in Potters Hill, my brother rang from his home in Aldridge and said he was coming over to visit, when he arrived I suggested we go to the Hippodrome as they had an evening performance that started fairly late.
With our wives we sat ourselves down in the front row, the curtains went up and we were confronted with half a dozen naked ladies in still poses. E.

Eric Gibson said:
... With our wives we sat ourselves down in the front row, the curtains went up and we were confronted with half a dozen naked ladies in still poses. E.

And these days you'd get more naked wimmin than that in the audience!
eyebrows.gif

T.V.WRESTLING

Hey John I bet Judo Al Hayes put his origami into practise when he visited the toilet.

Another bloke I liked was Jackie Palo from T.V.s Saturday afternoon wrestling. He always wore striped pants. When he took a hit he would stagger around the ring all dazed for minutes. His opponent would take the opportunity to whack him one, allthough dazed, Jackie Palo would manage to duck or dive, not get hit, but then continue to stagger around

My wife, who lived a few corners from the Aston Hippodrome, used to see the wrestlers all roll up in a van together, the best of friends.

Les Kellet
He was the funny one do you remember?
:knuppel2:

We used to go to the Aston Hip wrestling and we also went to the Embassy in Sparkbrook
We were in the bar of the Embassy one night and we saw two blokes stood at the bar having a drink, you could tell by their build that they were wrestlers, but they weren't well known ones so I can't remember their names.
Anyway we watched them chatting away and they finiished their pints and left the bar
Well the show started and sure enough the first contest was these two blokes who'd been drinking together in the bar
well it was the usual thing, one was the good guy and the other one pulled every dirty trick in the book and blathered him all round the ring.
Eventually the "baddie" got disqualified and off they both went
Later on, when all the contests had finished we went back to the bar for another drink and there they both were stood together having a pint and chatting away, the best of friends
Ever been had?

What about Billy Two Rivers, he copied his hair style from me :coolsmiley:

wrestlers_tworivers.jpg

wrestlers_kellet.jpg

wrestlers_mcmanus.jpg
Mick McManus, Les Kellet and Billy Two Rivers

Two way Alf:

1. If it's got a URL(webpage address) paste that in, highlight it and click the button above (2nd row, 2nd from left).
Like this:
avengers_02.jpg

2. If it's on your puter, click "Additional Options" (bottom left of Reply box), click "Browse" (right of Attach box), navigate to what you want on your machine and select.
Like below:

Hope that helps .

[attachment deleted by admin]

KEEPING WIFE IN CHECK

I usually punish my wife with a few wrestling moves when she's done something wrong, for example,

Not turning the vacuum cleaner off when I approach....A BODY SLAM.
Giving me apple tart & custard with skin on the custard,I can't stand that...A BOSTON STRANGLEHOLD.

To young to win

We used to play bingo at the Aston Hipp, my wife won £100 in 1964, about 5 weeks wages at that time ? she had to hand the ticket to my sister in law quick as she was too young to play and claim the winnings.

At that time I owed £36.00 H.P. payments on my motorbike, and do you know I really had to twist my wife's [then my girlfriends] arm to pay it off. In the end I said "look June, never mind buying your Mom a fomica table & chair set, you either pay my bike off or I'm dumping you"

JEALOUS AS I DON'T KNOW WHAT

My wife used to also go to the Newtown Palace with her Mom to play bingo. I found out in later years from my Mother in Law that the compere fancied my wife. If I'd found out at the time I would have Knocked his head off his neck.

AFTER THAT....

And after that I would have used his head to play marbles in the gutter.

David lots of men fancy my wife I'm proud of her. She still with me and 25 years younger.

David confidece

DAVE BRICK said:
My wife used to also go to the Newtown Palace with her Mom to play bingo. I found out in later years from my Mother in Law that the compere fancied my wife. If I'd found out at the time I would have Knocked his head off his neck.

Hey gels, don't you wimmin just love a subtle lover? :-*

Ruff & reddy,, pre-neolithic cave men,,,, :crazy2: :knuppel2: BRAwimmin luv em :smitten:

Hence the ol saying BARfoot & pregnant :-[ (Heh I just Invenred that :eek: 8))

DAVE BRICK said:

Dave where else would his head be ???

SQUEEZE

There's more than one or two blokes I know where I would like to get their heads in a vice and tighten it up very slowly while they gasp apologises to me.
Alf, how old are you and how old is your missis ?

Dave I'm 69 and the Missis 44 Why whats that to do with it how old are you you never told us :tickedoff:

I wonder how many of the "Senior" people amongst us
can remember all the great act's that appeared at the Aston Hippodrome?
actors like"Old Mother Riley and her daughter Kitty ( Artur Lucan & Kitty McShane)
the great bands,Joe Loss,Felix Mendelssohn, Stepham Grappeli, etc
The there was "The Young China troupe" fine acrobats,
"Jane & Fritz", Gaston Andre,both Strip Models of course this was in the 40s  (War years)
and thenlast but not least, there was the Orchestra,very loud & tinny but they were OK O0

Back