• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Hall

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
:) I bet I'm the only person on the forum to be kicked out of Aston Hall?. I went with friends to the candelight evening. One of them said "let's see how many we can blow out" Guess who got caught and sharply evicted?. :rolleyes: TTFN. Jean.

They would have threw my son out too for blowing out the candles but as he was only 2 at the time and did sing "Happy Birthday To You" whilst blowing(that was quite a feat too), they let him get on with it.:)

My parents took me to a candlelit evening when I about 11 as a treat because I had been ill. The flickering candles made me feel very queasy and I promptly threw up on the polished floorboards. I was swiftly ushered out through the main front door and pointed in the direction of the nearest drain!!:rolleyes:

Pat you naughty person. Y:D:D:Des I think you were also Carol Dawn and Wendy. Do you remember we followed Teddy Smart and his wife Jean around playing them up and he did his nut. Speek to you later. Jean.

What a lovely view of the old Hall, Jean. If you look at the first tree at the top left of the PC, the square box to the left of it was a shrub clipped into shape. I think it was Laurel, there were a few of them near the Hall and bowling green, anyway we used to hide in them. Kids weren't encouraged to play in that part of the park, and the parkies used to hoik us back down the steps, and if we got wind of them we hid. So I guess the date would be around 1950, there's no sign of them now.

Thanks Di. I remember those sculpured trees well. They looked so large when we were young. I have some actual photo's of the park and hall taken from the parrapit Jean.of Aston Church. I remember the day like it was yesterday. We were taken up those winding stairs and I was frightened to death. I remember how worn the steps were. My son has them at the moment but will have them back and put them on. I used to roler skate down the hill from the hall and one day could not stop and went straight through the gates. I grabbed a lampost to stop me going in the road. bye. Jean.

I remember going to the park with my frieind Carol and we had to take my younger sister Sandra with us and her friend Jayne. We were into the boys then and the girls were getting on our nerves so we tied them to a tree up the big hill at the entrance to the park. When we got back home mom said "Where is our Sandra and Jayne" we had forgotten them and had to dash back and get them needless to say we were told off but it worked we never had to take them with us again.

Pat do you mean Jayne Reading?. You told me you were never naughty?. Maybe just a bit forgetful.:D:D:D Jean.

Getting there. Can't wait till Monday to have the old needle treatment. Shall I sue Peter for whiplash?. Talking about whiplash what happened to Miss Whiplash?. Never hear from her now. Jean,.

Last edited:
Hello again,

Here is another photo of the rear of the Hall around the same time during a cold winter. I am not sure if the shot has been scanned the right way round; the Church in the distance may be the one near Six Ways Island?

Can anyone verify this?

https://www.panoramio.com/photo/29970924

Thanks Pedro

Thanks jennyann

Seeing a picture of the Church you can now make out the slight gap at the base of the spire. I will put the Church name in the title.

Thanks again, Pedro

Here are some photo's of Aston Hall in the snow taken today.:)

I spoke to a lady today who told me in the 1930's she lived near here as a child and used to play around the area. She mentioned that there used to be a 2 foot fence with barbed wire around where it was dense and they often tore their clothing on it retieving balls etc.

She also asked if I knew of a ' Rat Pan' pub, ( Higher Grounds Hotel?)

My Dad was born in Bevington Road in 1911. He often spoke of the fun he had as a boy in the grounds of Aston Hall.

Back