• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Hall

Hi, I don't remember that bandstand at all as I grew up playing in Aston Park from early 60's onwards.

I seem to remember in more or less in the same position a statute of Peter Pan with a flute .....I think!?

Chances are there was a bandstand out of shot when this photo was taken. The postcard shows seating arranged for a concert. But afraid there's no date for the image. Possibly 1920s ? Viv.

image.jpeg

The Historic England site tells us. Viv.

"The garden south of the Hall became a flower garden and shrubbery in the late C18. A Victorian bandstand was removed in 1924".

Might show on an early large scale map - mikejee - unfortunately all my mother's side of the family are gone - they grew up playing there before the First World War!

Maurice

Yes Maurice. Surprised it was removed at that time. Thought it was one of the many popular activities visitors would have enjoyed. A further extract from Historic England gives us some hints. Viv.

From the mid 1920s considerable changes were made to the grounds, following a park scheme proposed in 1924 by Birmingham Civic Society. These changes were designed to cope better with the heavy use they sustained, and to create gardens whose layout and planting would reflect the C17 character of the Hall.

So wasn't there for very long. Thanks Mike. Although it's a pity it was removed, at least the reasons for removing it were understandable if it was to restore the gardens to their 17th century character. Viv.

AstonB6, Peter Pan is a little further away from the hall. He's in the circle shown on the left of Mike's map. You go down some steps from the hall itself.
I seem to remember some pictures showing a conservatory on Pan's side of the hall running along what is now a flat area. I think it was where stuffed animals and other artefacts were kept.

Thanks, Mike, and now the full story is confirmed. I'm sure maintenance was a factor - the wooden decking is expensive to replace and doesn't have a very long life.

Maurice

Hi Ladypenlope
You have beaten me to it regarding peter pan on the fountain , as i was going to suggest last evening
but it was late i think it was mike and myself on late night for that spur of a moment
I decide to call it a day and wait until today and just logged in and lord behold me you beat me to the post ha ha
yes my lady ,i know the probverb ,the early worm catches the worm , ha ha again,
And yes it was on the rear side of the Hll and yes you went down two flights of steps
when you came out of the hall you would walk towards the green lawns
and they went down in two tier levels and peter pan on the fountain playing is flute was on the lowe level
the first lawn you approached was actualy the crown bowling crown bowling green for championship
leauges competitions
yes you did go down the steps for that one for player there was large wooden benches
postioned high on ground level for team members to sit and watch and wait for there time
and for spectators and family members
You would walk across that green on the far left and there would be another series of steps about six wide
steps to step on that green which was well mowed to high stannard and peter pan was in the middle of that green
the parker keeper alway kept an eye on those greens and no one was allowed at any time to trespas
on any of those greens if he seen you he would shout at the top of his voice get off there
and depend on what side he is on he would collar you
but years later they brought horris a big man with his expolice bike to patrol ASTON park
And he was a fast pedaler around that sight no one dare shout back abuse as they did with other parkies
Horris was an expolice officer from digbeth how i knew is name my mother knew him from new cannal street
house partys they used to enterain alot with the police
sadest thing i seen regarding peter pan i think it was mid sixties i went to aston hall and the park
and seen how bad it was run down and peter pan had is arm broken off
As an true Astonian and thorough bred i feel Aston hall is in my heart and soul and blood
have a good day my Lady best wishes to you all , Astonian Alan ,,,

A few interior views. The first is King Charles' chamber, the second and third are drawing rooms. Personally could do without all that polishing! Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I don't know what other members views are but I could not feel comfortable living in rooms like that, I enjoy walking round admiring the furnishings and works of art, but actually living there - NO. Eric

same here eric...enjoy walking round admiring but as a girl born in a back to back house i would feel like a fish out of water:D

lyn

Me too. Went there as a youngster and remember feeling in awe of it all. Bears no relation to the average person's life. At that time on visits we simply trasped from room to room. But today, young visitors are encouraged to engage more with these places and I imagine their school trips are much more fun as they get to try on clothes of the period, taste the food etc. The most fun we would have had during a 1950s visit would be to sneak a quick sit on a chair you weren't supposed to sit on! Viv.

Tonight AH is hosting a Murder Mystery event. So all your sleuths out there, keep your eyes peeled for future events. May not be everyone's cup of tea but these events all work towards keeping these places viable. Viv.

image.jpeg

Back