• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Hall

Beamish you know what I mean?. The apple. Peter that too looks like a painting?. I can't make out just where it was taken but could be the path that runs parallel with the Villa grounds?. Not sure though. Jean.

I think that might be the path from the other side of the park,cant remember the name of the street but i used to use it to go and see my nan in Tower rd. I used togo in the main entrace, up the hill to the top and turn left, it went past the tennis courts and straight on you would come to the other gate

Last edited:
Beamish you know what I mean?. The apple. Peter that too looks like a painting?. I can't make out just where it was taken but could be the path that runs parallel with the Villa grounds?. Not sure though. Jean.

I think this is the path up to the Hall in line with Aston Parish Church.

Regards Peter

Thank you so much for these photo's I wish I could go back fifty years. Not the place it is today it breaks my heart.

No problem. They looked stunning in the snow, on a clear, but freezing cold day back in January 2010. They were nearby Villa Park, so I took these as well.

The area is mostly Asian now. I walked here from Aston Six Ways.

View attachment 59117 View attachment 59118 View attachment 59120

A picture taken of Aston Parish Church in the Spring this year, and one looking up to the Gargoyles. The nearest one is toasting our health with a tankard of ale.

As an aside can anyone remind me of the name of the pub that was just under the motorway? If my memory serves me right was there a Doctor’s Surgery nearby, I seem to remember the name Freshwater.

Regards Peter

Hi jean
just been reading some of your frolics around aston hall with patty
you mentioned teddy smart well ted was my uncle bill smarts brother i do not whom was the oldest of the two
when i was a kid fresh out of school i worked with bill and ted his brother at the birmingham bottle exchange down st michaels hill
ted was the foreman when ted left aston what ever year it was he move to the street just before devonshire st
off lodge rd and later bill followed to lodge rd and took acare takers job at lodge rd church
its a small world jeanie , take care alan

Back