• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Hall

I remember that back in the day my friends and I used to walk through the grounds of Aston Hall and on into the city centre following games at Villa Park, it took us around 20 or 25 minutes to walk to the Ben Johnson by the old Fire Station (those were the days!). It was a really nice walk and I also played Sunday league cricket several times in the park, with Aston Hall to our right. Those photographs above @ #325 & #328, take me right back there, thanks for posting them. :)

From my home on Little Oaks Road, Aston Park was just a short way to walk and it was my playground every day.

Aston Hall was my pretend second home. Lovely memories that no one can take away from me.

I now live in Spain (Mallorca) and after 3 years I'm finally back in Brum just to visit and pay my respects at Witton cemetery to my Jean, my Mom & Dad and brother, That was a lot of flowers I left but well worth every pound I spent to honour them all.

And yes, of course, I am visiting our Aston Hall today!

You all take care............. Derek.

In Oliver Fairclough's book "The Grand Old Mansion", he states that in the 1779s the gardener at the House ranked immediately below the Steward, and that, like his predecessor, he lived in the South lodge. I assume that that was the building on the left in the drawing
In this 1851 newspaper article it claims one tower was occupied by the gardener, the other by the falconer (!) Every home should have one ! Viv.

Attachments

• 669E278D-AD10-42EC-ADB5-9BCBC1233343.jpeg
    669E278D-AD10-42EC-ADB5-9BCBC1233343.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 4
I can't believe I was born just down the road from here in Holte road , and someone doing my ancestry found we are members of the Holte family from Aston Hall
crikey jean...how exactly are you connected to the famous holte family

lyn

:) I bet I'm the only person on the forum to be kicked out of Aston Hall?. I went with friends to the candelight evening. One of them said "let's see how many we can blow out" Guess who got caught and sharply evicted?. :rolleyes: TTFN. Jean.
what a way to treat a member of the Holte family,bet will you be changing your avita now
1690099678965.png
:grinning::grinning:

Last edited:
Until I saw this watercolour of Aston Hall Lodge Gate by Elijah Walton I hadn't fully appreciated the impression of a high level of security being implied by the gateway. Firstly the double gates below the arch are substantial in themselves, but the gates also have serrated, metal prongs along the top edges of the gates.

The perimeter walls however look less substantial. Therefore my guess is the gates were made that way to send a message to ward off possible trespassers.

Viv

Screenshot_20230824_183141_Chrome.jpg

Back