• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ASTON HALL ROAD

D

DAVE BRICK

SLOPEY HANDRAIL

I had some relations living in the 4 storey flats opposite, I used to think they were posher and richer than us, this was about 1958.

Something that always stuck out for me on the 3 blocks of flats was the slopey handrail up the steps on the ground floor, I thought is it supposed to look like that or have the builders made a mistake.

A bit boring was'nt it that, I suppose you could say I am doing a Steve Davis again, sorry, Dave

Love the photos even though i never came from this part of Brum, never seen any photos taken in my area of Hodge Hill around the area of Millinghton, Oakdale, Erminghton, Chipperfield area cant remember Parents and Neighbours took photos of there streets , i only have a couple of family photos taken in the garden.

Yes i know this, was not asking about the Common just saying about people taking pics of the said streets.

I remember going to a garden party in the grounds of the Rectory in the early 1960's as a teenager. One of the 'attractions' was trying to get a wire loop around a wire configuration without making contact and causing to 'buzz.' Simple pleasures? - it seemed liked high tech then. To the right of the picture Dents Garage can be seen. I bought a Mk 1 Ford Cortina in dark green from them when they were based in the old tram shed in Witton Lane. It was a used car and had a dent in the off side wing. "No problem" said the salesman "Bring it back in next week and we will repair free of charge." I bought the car and guess what, I never took it back for repair. I imagine most 19 year olds these days would be far more 'savvy' than to fall for a used car salesman pitch like that - but then again.

hi ray just checked and i cant see an email from you...as before i suggest that you just post 10 photos per post...just take your time there is no rush...let me know when you wish me to start a new thread for the aston/lozells photos...as before i will be asking members not to comment on them until you are happy that you have posted them all

lyn

Back