• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Hall Road (formerly Aston Lane)

more of westbrook house..

Attachments

• RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 024.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 024.JPG
    582.5 KB · Views: 57
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 027.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 027.JPG
    693.1 KB · Views: 58
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 031.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 031.JPG
    695.2 KB · Views: 61
next 4

Attachments

• RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 004.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 004.JPG
    576.5 KB · Views: 62
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 005.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 005.JPG
    592 KB · Views: 64
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 007.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 007.JPG
    512.9 KB · Views: 65
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 008.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 008.JPG
    490.3 KB · Views: 62
next 4

Attachments

• RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 016.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 016.JPG
    556.6 KB · Views: 50
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 018.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 018.JPG
    535.4 KB · Views: 50
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 019.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 019.JPG
    682.2 KB · Views: 50
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 020.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 020.JPG
    671.9 KB · Views: 52
next 4

Attachments

• RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 021.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 021.JPG
    586.2 KB · Views: 51
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 022.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 022.JPG
    700.1 KB · Views: 50
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 023.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 023.JPG
    640.6 KB · Views: 51
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 028.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 028.JPG
    480.5 KB · Views: 56
last 3 folks..hope those who knew the area comment on some of the photos..such as post 23 pic 4...i thought it may have been the vicarage but looking at the map it looks to close to the road to be that...??

lyn

Attachments

• RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 029.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 029.JPG
    466.5 KB · Views: 50
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 032.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 032.JPG
    526.7 KB · Views: 45
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 033.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 033.JPG
    727.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Thankyou Lynn for posting these evocative photos, I went to Aston Hall Road school, I started there in 1948, the area holds many memories although time has dimmed a few!

glad you like them astonite...hard to believe the road once looked like that...its so drab and dull now...no life to it

lyn

hi folks just a little note to say that any photos that i have taken the time to find..resize and post on this forum are welcomed by myself to be posted on any other site (if i wanted to keep them to myself i would) but please could the posters have the courtesy to credit the birmingham history forum as its source

many thanks folks

lyn

Some excellent photos on this thread. Thanks Lyn. Here's another of Aston Lane (later Aston Hall Road) c1900. Viv.

image.jpeg

Aston Tavern on Aston Lane/Aston Hall Road in 1927. Perhaps a Sunday, quite a few people around the churchyard. Viv.

image.jpeg

6D656BD9-586B-413A-BF65-4DE1731334BF.jpeg
as promised pics of aston hall road...the first few are of westbrook house which is marked on the map and stood alongside aston parish church...once a fine building but no longer there...

Interesting here is that the house is said to have dated back to the 15C.

very interesting pedro as looking at the photos i posted of westbrook house i did not think it was 15th century i thought it was georgian:rolleyes: there again i am no expert

lyn

very interesting pedro as looking at the photos i posted of westbrook house i did not think it was 15th century i thought it was georgian:rolleyes: there again i am no expert

lyn

Yes, maybe they should have said that there had been a house, in some form, from the 15C ?

That was my Doctors in the 50's, so sad to see it go, such a lovely old Georgian (?) building, so much for listed status, it would have been nice to see it restored, maybe turned into flats, typical Council action. Same with the old Vicarage opposite, also demolished, spent many happy hours there at various functions, still that was probably the Churches decision and not the Councils Eric

i am just wondering if the back of the building with its original brickwork is the part that dates to the 15th century but i still have my doubts...we do know however that the original aston tavern pub which was a tad down to the right of westbrook house dated back that far....my photos on posts 20 and 21 may help

Last edited:
lyn, re your#23 pic 4 - it is/was the Vicarage, I remember the Vicar, lovely Wife but I did not like him, he refused to marry my late Wife and I because she was a divorcee, even though she was the innocent party, hardly a Christian act !! Eric

Looking in William Dugdale’s Antiquities of Warwickshire (1656) gives an interesting picture of Aston Hall.

It also gives a history of Aston Parish Church, and mentions a vicarage.

5747091C-8CA9-4CA7-9AB3-54550E4F7747.jpeg 4D41FB00-5521-47E0-BDAF-94CC58BE6164.jpeg
lyn, re your#23 pic 4 - it is/was the Vicarage, I remember the Vicar, lovely Wife but I did not like him, he refused to marry my late Wife and I because she was a divorcee, even though she was the innocent party, hardly a Christian act !! Eric

Glad to help Denise. I don't know if you have determined where Coronation Place was, but they weren't what I call back houses. Have taken just a part of the map (to save storage on the forum) and marked which was coronation place. It was between 42 & 44 Aston Hall Road, which makes it the 14 houses in red. They are behing the houses along the road, but not what i call a back house (but then I'm not a Brummie !)
If you click twice on the map to bring it to the biggest size, then you can make sure the arrow is on the picture and click on it using the right hand button on your mouse which brings up a list of options . One of these says "Save picture as" Then click with the left hjand button and you can save the picture wherever you want. Once it is on your computer then you can send it by e-mail to your cousin as an attachment. I only know how to attach using AOL e-mail, which may be different to yours. Sorry if my explanation is not clear, but I tend to do it automatically, and may have missed something out.
If you are having trouble still with sending it, if you or Jean send me a private message with your cousins e-mail address, then I could send it directly.
Mike

map1938astonhallrdcoronationplace.jpg
My dad's Mom or moms mom lived in Coronation Place, Jane Martha Black 1935 as far as I recall

Back