• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Hall Road (formerly Aston Lane)

Sorry Jean, Aston Hall Road was just around the corner from Gladstone Street and I have a map locked in my memory but I refuse to send you my head cause I still need it. Regards, David.
Has anyone an old map of this road please for one of our members?. Thanks. Jean.

Oh David I thought you had solved my friends problem then maybe I am not looking for your head just a map. At last someone has brought a smile to my face today and I thank you. Jean.

Up to sometime between 1933 and 1936 Aston Hall Road was Aston Lane. below is a map of it labelled 1938

map1938astonhallrd.jpg

Thanks you Mike. I am sure Denise will come on later to explain why she required this. Thanks again. Jean.

Thank you Mike, the map is to help a long lost cousin of mine, she has recently found a letter addressed to her parents - Coronation Place, Aston Hall Road. She suspected that they lived in a back house and looking at the map she hit the nail on the head. Is there any way I could forward it to her, not really computer friendly, great as long as its straight forward
Thanks again Denise

Denise, right click on the Map, a box will appear giving options, click on 'save picture as.....', then click on 'save' and it will go to your 'picture 'or 'my pictures' file. Then simply print it in the normal way (I am assuming you have a printer). Alternatively you can attach it to an email OK ??? Eric

Last edited:
Glad to help Denise. I don't know if you have determined where Coronation Place was, but they weren't what I call back houses. Have taken just a part of the map (to save storage on the forum) and marked which was coronation place. It was between 42 & 44 Aston Hall Road, which makes it the 14 houses in red. They are behing the houses along the road, but not what i call a back house (but then I'm not a Brummie !)
If you click twice on the map to bring it to the biggest size, then you can make sure the arrow is on the picture and click on it using the right hand button on your mouse which brings up a list of options . One of these says "Save picture as" Then click with the left hjand button and you can save the picture wherever you want. Once it is on your computer then you can send it by e-mail to your cousin as an attachment. I only know how to attach using AOL e-mail, which may be different to yours. Sorry if my explanation is not clear, but I tend to do it automatically, and may have missed something out.
If you are having trouble still with sending it, if you or Jean send me a private message with your cousins e-mail address, then I could send it directly.
Mike

map1938astonhallrdcoronationplace.jpg

Do you remember the Prop Petrol filling station in Aston Hall road Had a Spit Fire propeller fix high up on the wall
Fixed there by my father and his two brothers who were local contractors at the time. A photo would be gr8
robb128

A big thank you to you Cookie and you Mike, don't get on the forum very often but whenever I do if I need any info there is always someone to help
Thanks Denise

Mike I have managed to save the maps to my pictures, yours and Cookies instructions were great, so will now forward them to my cousin, I must be getting better - see you can teach an old dog new tricks haha Denise

Do you remember the Prop Petrol filling station in Aston Hall road Had a Spit Fire propeller fix high up on the wall
Fixed there by my father and his two brothers who were local contractors at the time. A photo would be gr8
robb128
There is one around not sure if it,s the right garage but I thjink it could be.Dek

what a shame that denise has not logged on for a long time...ive just found a photo of coronation terrace...i am presuming its the same as coronation place...also lots of aston hall road to post before demo...

lyn

Llyn Denis's husband was very poorly and passed away quite recently. I will let her know what you have found as it will buck her up a little bit.

hi jean here is the pic of coronation terrace for denise...dont know what number denise had but i can make out that the house with the white door is number 5

Attachments

• RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 030.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 030.JPG
    651.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Thank you Lyn. I have sent her a message and am sure she will come back on again when she feels up to it.

thats great jean hope denise is soon on the up...i have about another 15 or so to post later on when i have time..

lyn

hi folks posting a map as you will need to refer to it later on when i post some new photos but for now here is an 1897 one of the holte almshouses (marked on map) that were more or less opposite the aston tavern pub

Attachments

• holte houses 1889.jpg
    holte houses 1889.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 55
  • holte almshouses 1897.jpg
    holte almshouses 1897.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 56
as promised pics of aston hall road...the first few are of westbrook house which is marked on the map and stood alongside aston parish church...once a fine building but no longer there...

Attachments

• RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 024.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 024.JPG
    582.5 KB · Views: 42
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 025.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 025.JPG
    648.6 KB · Views: 41
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 034.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 034.JPG
    736.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Back