• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Hall Closure - NOW RE-OPENED

N

Nostromo

Does anyone know what is happening at Aston Hall at the moment, why it is closed, and when it is due to open again?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Aston Hall Closure

It has been closed since October 2007 to enable a £10 million restoration and improvement project to take place.
It has now been handed back to Birmingham City Council and will reopen to the public in the next few weeks (someone mentioned 18th July on the news a few days ago)

Col Thanks for that they are not much good with their PR on the Web either.:(

Alf, thanks for the link. Finally, Aston Hall and the grounds will look
like it should have for years and years now. I remember when the
Council researched the area around Aston Hall and Park that many of the residents were interested in having more sports facilities in the Park and it looks as though they will. I can`t wait to visit later on this year.

The renovations to the the Trinity Road entrance and Lady Holte`s garden sound very good. I often used to walk along Aston Lane to the 39 bus stop just beyond Aston Parish Church and whilst waiting there look up the main entrance driveway. In the Springtime it was a marvellous sight with the gardens planted out with bulbs and the trees in full leaf. This was after the Lodge had been demolished. I remember playing on the swings in the Lower Park in the late l940`s. I think there was a roundabout there also.

My father and his brother attended Albert Road School and this part of the Park was where they lingered on the way home from school. They lived in Witton. Happy days in a lovely park.

Jenny I used to do Green Bowling there when I was about 16:)

My Dad was a park keeper in Aston Park in the late 1940's early 1950's and had to help lock up the hall - he told me some spooky tales of things that went bump in the night and he is a sceptic lol

Hi Alf: Great memories of lawn bowling for you at Aston Park. Whereabouts was the bowling green Alf?

Hi Col: That must have been some job for your Dad. The Hall and Park
occupy a very large area. Did your Dad have a bike? I bet he had a big
bunch of keys:):) It's great having all these memories of Aston Hall and Aston Park not forgetting the Church as well. I am aiming to visit the recently renovated Holte Pub as well.

Lol Jennyann...I think there were more than just him

Hey Col,
I bet your dad chased me a few times,when he was the "parky".
Makes you wonder why they don't have them anymore,the certainly kept order.
I can remember going to Aston Hall after dark...scary.:rolleyes:
Apparently they didn't have electricity untill 1984.

Dont know about the electric, but Dad told me that doors in the hall which were locked at night were unlocked (by the,mselves) by the morning. He also told me about steps on the servants stairs and a supposedly secret tunnel from the Hall to Aston church...Although he doesnt believe in ghosts he has admitted he hated locking up at night:rolleyes:

Col,
The nightwatchman at Aston Hall,was the uncle of one of my childhood pals,so we had a couple of visits after dark,he used to stay all night,with just an oil lamp to patrol the place...he would have been a contemparary of your dad.:1020:whooooooo.

Rather him than me! Good job my Dad wasnt asked to do that!
Lol dawn to dusk was enough for him...Right off to bed have a 3.30am alarm call for work have fun

JennyAnn, the bowling green was to the left hand side of the Hall, looking up from the Peter Pan statue - hope he has had his head replaced during the renovations. During the summer of 1959 when Michael was a baby, I used to go with my Mom & Dad and sit and watch the bowlers, it was a lovely pleasant way to spend a summer afternoon.

Sylvia, I used to take our Steve to watch the bowls, it would be when we came back to Birmingham for a short time 1962/3. When we were kids the Parkie would have a fit if he saw you anywhere near the greens, so it gave me a bit of satisfction to at last be allowed to sit there.:)

The thing I remember most as a child once was visiting Aston Hall with my uncle and having sandwiches at the back of the hall and watching the biggest redest sun in my whole life. I have never seen the sun that large ever. It was explained to me but cannot remember what the explaination was. It took only ten minutes to get home to Holte road. I would love to visit again but would rather remember where I grew up as it was then and not now.:cry::cry:. Jean.

8 page supplement on the renovation and re-opening of Aston Hall in tonight's Evening Mail

I believe it reopens on Saturday with special events

Dave I watched it too. They are going to open a room that has never been on public display before where one of our Kings slept. Which one was he as I was slaving over a hot stove at the time:(. Jean.

Back