• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Furnace Location

Here's another photo of Furnace Lane taken from Clifford Street about 1965.

Attachments

• Lozells Clifford St - Furnace Lane 1965.jpg
    Lozells Clifford St - Furnace Lane 1965.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 2
This is not a great photo but, it's Furnace Lane Aston about 1900.
This view was much the same until I left the area in the 1960s,to the left of centre of this picture is our garage which was at the top of our garden.Furnace Lane ran from Lozells Rd to Porchester st,crossing Gerrard and Clifford sts,parallel to William St,the picture shows section halfway between Gerrard st in the foreground to Clifford st in the background.There is also a picture on the main site showing section between Clifford st and Porchester st.The lamp-post shown on the latter is just above the rear gate to Alma st J&I school.Incidently the tree that was in the top of our garden is still standing on the renamed Clifford walk,but now surrounded by the 1960s development.
I used to go onto the Ralp Martindale (Crocodile) site as child when it was being built.A friend of mine worked for a building company when they did some under pinning work on that site some years ago,apparently to stop the building sinking into the brook below.
The stuff you hold in your memory !

i

Martindales make machetes for export to Third World countries, for sugar-cane harvesting and similar industries. Their trade-mark was a crocodile etched onto the blade of their machetes. My company still supplies them with felt bobs for polishing the blades, and I visited the old works on numerous occasions. I always made sure I wore something less than my best suit when visiting... Oddly enough I've never been to their new factory at Willenhall.

I can remember when I was a nipper travelling from Witton to Portland Road on the No 7 bus (I went to George Dixon Grammar School) and for years and years I wondered just what a factory called the Crocodile Works actually made. My dad thought they made 'crocodile clips', but how wrong was that?

Big Gee

Last edited by a moderator:
Back