• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Footbal ground

O

O.C.

Am I right in saying there was a big football ground at at Aston Cross just between the Aston Hip. and the picture house and between the Golden Cross as I have it on a map dated 1866 was this Aston Villas old ground ?
This was the year Rod when the were building Aston Brook Street

we believe that the ground you refer to was the sports ground belonging to Mr Moore of vinegar reknown in reading the Moores history he mentions having a sports day for his employees will see if I can find the story again, Dunlop built thier factory on this land which later became Hercules 

Here it is
Map replaced

map c1889 showing football ground by aston cross.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats brill it shows the gun factory and the footy ground. Can you send me a bigger section via email showing as much of Aston brook street and phillips street ?

Just as a note, the Aston Hip was near to the Bartons on High Street Aston, it was the Theatre Royal that was to be buillt in the 1890's just a few yards back towards town away from the footy ground.

Rod
I would have argued till I was blue in the face that the Aston Hip. was at Aston Cross but on what you said and checking myself You are right. As a child I went to both theatres and remember Izzy Bon and a few of the other artists of the time.
Funny how the mind plays tricks Still shaking my head now. Thanks for that info

Cromwell did you confuse the Aston Hippodrome with the Astoria cinema, later the ATV Studios which was on Aston Road. I believe the Astoria was once a theatre.

I don't know but I should imagine around the time "talkies" took off around the 1920s, my dad told me he went there when it was a theatre. I'm sure someone will come up with the details.

Aston Road North
Aston

On 23rd of September 1892 an agreement was signed between George and Robert Hall to erect a theatre on this site.This was built and opened Monday 7th August 1893 at a cost of £6,500.
Sold in 1894 to Charles Barnard with extensive refurbishment. General manager E Hewston, acting manager F Whitttles. Refurbished again in 1912 at a cost of £7,000 with a seating capacity of 2000.
This closed in 1926 and opened 12th December 1927, as the Astoria Cinema, seating capacity 1,194. The Astoria closed its doors on 26th November 1955.

I can add that Aston Villa Football club was started by members of Aston Wesleyan Chapel who started playing on waste ground in Heathfield Road in 1874, in 1876 they obtained private ground in Wellington Road,11years later they won the F.A. cup. The English cup that they won in 1895 was the one that was stolen from the window of Football Boot Manufactures .W.Shillcock and it was never recovered

As a young boy in the late 40s early  50s & going to the cinema in aston, the ASTORIA was one of the many choices we had. I recall this cinema having two Balcony's the upper one was not used as I under stand it was unsafe? was this a left over from the days of it being Theater.Also it had still got an orchestra pit if my memory serves me correct.

Aston Villa was the name of that bit of Villa Road between Hunter's Road and what is still called Villa Cross (remember the cinema and the pub?). It was just in the Parish (later Borough) of Aston until 1911 whyen it was swallowed up be Birmingham.
I remember that the Aston Villa Wesleyan Chapel was a prominent place in the 1950s. My mum grew up in Burbury Street around WW1 time, and used to go there.
Peter

Back