• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Commercial School Holte Grammar

Think a lot of pupils would have enjoyed this opportunity.

image.jpeg

And a month's stay at the farm in 1947 !
image.jpegimage.jpeg

And in 1950, some of their time was spent in the fields at nearby Dunnington Heath Farm. Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
My wife has asked me to post this photo Aston Commercial May 1956 My wife's maiden name was Brenda Meaden

Attachments

• Scan_20180427-(5).jpg
    Scan_20180427-(5).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Scan_20180427-(3).jpg
    Scan_20180427-(3).jpg
    98 KB · Views: 62
  • Scan_20180427-(2).jpg
    Scan_20180427-(2).jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 60
Haven't been able to see the 'photo you posted, but I was at Aston Comm. from 1953-1956, and took part in "Arms and the Man". Miss Hilda Roberts was the producer. We had wonderful times at rehearsals and lasting friendships were formed. from the drama classes a nAmateur Dramatic Society was formed for pupils and ex pupils. It functioned for a few years but probably folded as the School changed. Although living so far away, I am still in contact with friends I met in 1953. A Couple of them have even visited me here in Tasmania, now that's what I call friendship. Dr, Harvey Flack was Headmaster and gained our respect for treating us as young adults and not children. Miss Chaffer was there, Mr. Woodward, Mr. Johnson, who regaled us with tales of his time in the R.A.F., and Mr. Ben Towle. He was a lovely man, very gentle and I'm afraid we tended to give him a hard time. Of course there were many others whose faces I can see, but cannot put a name to them. During my last term at the school, I was made a prefect; it was thought that the responsibility my calm me down, but I'm not sure it worked, I think I was a
bit of a soft touch. They were extremely happy days for me and I consider myself privileged to have attended The old A.C.S. There was a club formed for ex pupils called the Old Acsonians but I guess that became defunct many years ago.p.s. I still have my old school scarf and badge.

My late cousin was there also, Sheila Gray (born 1932)......I have one of those very long school photos (with her in it), where it featured the whole school (over 2')
Hello Dolphie,
Have only just seen this (11 years after posting) My Mother was Rita (Marguerite) Kinsell. Sheila was her best friend over the years. I remember her vividly as she was part of my childhood...and her Mother Mrs Gray. I was at Sheila’s funeral with my sister Jenny. I’ve also got a long photo with them all on. Regards Lynne nee’ Smith

my dads on the 1954 pic on your site - i upladed the 55 one - but quality on mine isnt good
Brings a tear to see myself,. Thanks for the memories. and many dear friends on the ..54 'photo
Hello.
As an old Acsonisn I have just joined this group. I was at the school 53-56 inclusive when our form master was Ben Towle helped by Granny Grainger, Hilda Roberts and many more. One of the contributors to this section mentioned one of the annual plays Arms and the Man. I was an understudy to Hilda Roberts favourite Ken something . During s school outing to Coughton Court he tweaked her bra strap whilst acting about on the back seat of the coach. I still meet up a couple of times a year with classroom mates.
Hope I will hear from someone shortly.
Happy and safe NY to all.
Barry Moreton.

I would really like to Download these 2 photos and include them on the Holte/ACS website that I created. Although I doubt there's anybody around now who can identify the people in the photographs.
https://holtegrammarcommercialschool.000webhostapp.com/Holtndx.html

A bit of a bump to your post - I was looking back through this thread as a girl who was a year older than me at Birchfield Road Juniors went to Holte Grammar and I've found her name on the 1961 list and recognised her on the 1964 photograph.
Her name was Lynn Foo, I think her family were from Korea, they ran a small supermarket shop in Lozells I seem to remember.

A bit of a bump to your post - I was looking back through this thread as a girl who was a year older than me at Birchfield Road Juniors went to Holte Grammar and I've found her name on the 1961 list and recognised her on the 1964 photograph.
Her name was Lynn Foo, I think her family were from Korea, they ran a small supermarket shop in Lozells I seem to remember.
Hi, yes quite correct. Lynn Foo was in the same year as me. I remember her shop up Lozells

I attended Holte from 1958 to 1965 and was part of the first 11+ entry when the school changed it's name from Aston Commercial. I spent 7 happy years and especially enjoyed the 6 Form. I kept in touch for number of years but as time has marched on I have lost contact.

ACS football team 1951. Joint holders of the Aston Villa Schools Cup, final played at Villa Park 12 May 1951. Winners of Ansells Shield. Back row left to right - Brian Eccles, Terry Twist, ? , Godfrey Dunhill, ? Hicks, Peter Matthews, Neville Shaw. Front row left to right - ? Shiner, John Weston, Kenneth Watkins, Eddie Wall, 'Spud' Murphy

Attachments

• IMG_0030 (2).jpg
    IMG_0030 (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
ACS football team 1951. Joint holders of the Aston Villa Schools Cup, final played at Villa Park 12 May 1951. Winners of Ansells Shield. Back row left to right - Brian Eccles, Terry Twist, ? , Godfrey Dunhill, ? Hicks, Peter Matthews, Neville Shaw. Front row left to right - ? Shiner, John Weston, Kenneth Watkins, Eddie Wall, 'Spud' Murphy
Ecky, I hope you don't mind, but I've taken a copy of this photograph and posted it on the Facebook Group page that I've created for the old school. https://www.facebook.com/groups/8519208996

Hello.
As an old Acsonisn I have just joined this group. I was at the school 53-56 inclusive when our form master was Ben Towle helped by Granny Grainger, Hilda Roberts and many more. One of the contributors to this section mentioned one of the annual plays Arms and the Man. I was an understudy to Hilda Roberts favourite Ken something . During s school outing to Coughton Court he tweaked her bra strap whilst acting about on the back seat of the coach. I still meet up a couple of times a year with classroom mates.
Hope I will hear from someone shortly.
Happy and safe NY to all.
Barry Moreton.
my dad was born in 39 - so was at school there around 53 - 56. name was lewis wright 9 kenneth lewis wright). played in football team.

Back