• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Commercial School Holte Grammar

Hello
I started at Aston Commercial in 1959 and think it had just changed to Aston Grammar Commercial in 1957 which was the first year it took pupils aged 11. Before that they were about 13 before they could go there. Then in about 1960 it became Holte Grammar Commercial and the uniform changed from the brown uniform which included caps for girls, to the grey and black.

Last edited:
Two old photos from 1919, way before anyone's time on here. The first of the staff, the second of the pupils. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366396844.873864.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1366396864.232592.jpg

Aston Higher Grade School. Think the school is described in this extract from the British History online site

"ASTON HIGHER ELEMENTARY COUNCIL SCHOOL FOR BOYS; ASTON HIGHER ELEMENTARY COUNCIL SCHOOL FOR GIRLS, Whitehead Road, Aston. Aston Higher Elementary Bd. Schs. opened 1900 by Aston Sch. Bd. Accom. 500. Fees 6d. Originally planned as part of Albert Rd. (Higher Grade) Bd. Sch. and sometimes called Albert Rd. Higher Elementary Sch. No new pupils admitted after 1913 and both schs. closed as higher elementary schs. 1915. Buildings continued to be used by Aston Commercial Sch.,(21)"

Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 21
I have a history book, titled, "Macaulay's History of England", it belonged to the Aston Commercial School, I don't know how old it is (inside says first impression 1909, Impression of 1926), I don't know how I obtained it but it has the "owners" name written inside: George Stubbings, Form 5, Set 2. I wonder if Mr Stubbings, or any relatives are on this site.View attachment 103995

This postcard is labelled Aston Commercial School, sorry no date. What an elaborate building - no expense spared when this was built. I notice lots of boys tumbling out through the archway. Viv.

image.jpeg

Anyone remember this when Miss Chatwin was headmistress and we had Miss Haden for shorthand and typing. I was Smith, mates with D Smith and Jacky, Maureen and Janet. We went camping with Mr. Woodward, stayed in wooden huts and made rafts on the pond. Had a wonderful time. Teacher was Miss Susan Breakwell.
I remember Miss Chatwin but not as headmistress. I was there from 1956 to 1959 when the head was C Normington Mitchell and Mr Mordecai was deputy (with Miss Chatwin perhaps). The wooden huts where we went camping were at Bell End near Belbroughton.
I have school photos for some of those years.

Don't know who I was more scared of Mrs Chatwin or Mr Mordecai. Mr Normington Mitchell was a gentle chap. I was there 1959to 1966. my favourite teacher was Mr George Thompson who taught us A level law.

Last edited:
Don't know who I was more scared of Mrs Chatwin or Mr Mordecai. Mr Normington Mitchell was a gentle chap. I was there 1958 to 1966. my favourite teacher was Mr George Thompson who taught us A level law.
I remember Mr Thompson but I can't remember if we did Law with him or not. Probably not because I left in the Upper 5th. I did General Principles of English Law at Birmingham College of Commerce and have found the knowledge to be very useful since.
I didn't stay on for A levels unfortunately. My mom needed me to be a breadwinner.

This postcard is labelled Aston Commercial School, sorry no date. What an elaborate building - no expense spared when this was built. I notice lots of boys tumbling out through the archway. Viv.

View attachment 106361
The boys are standing on the steps of the boys entrance to the school. The girls had to use the girls entrance which is on the right in the picture.

Another view of the school, this time titled Higher Elementary School, Whitehead Road, Aston Manor. Viv.

image.jpeg

Spotted this 1975 LP for sale on eBay. Aston Manor choir appears on the record. According to the notes on the back of the LP sleeve, a quarter (!) of the school was in the choir. That's one big choir. Maybe one of our members son/daughter was on the recording. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 23
Thanks Maurice.

I notice the British History Online site never names it as being Aston Manor School. Would this be because it was only known as Aston Manor in more recent times ? I doubt Aston Manor is a different school altogether. Maybe someone who attended could clarify. Viv.

ASTON HIGHER ELEMENTARY COUNCIL SCHOOL FOR BOYS; ASTON HIGHER ELEMENTARY COUNCIL SCHOOL FOR GIRLS, Whitehead Road, Aston. Aston Higher Elementary Bd. Schs. opened 1900 by Aston Sch. Bd. Accom. 500. Fees 6d. Originally planned as part of Albert Rd. (Higher Grade) Bd. Sch. and sometimes called Albert Rd. Higher Elementary Sch. No new pupils admitted after 1913 and both schs. closed as higher elementary schs. 1915. Buildings continued to be used by Aston Commercial Sch. q.v.

Back