• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston church war graves.

rossclr

Brummie babby
Hey guys,new to the forum so sorry if this has been covered in the past,i,am researching some of the lads who served in ww1/ww2 who are buried in the grounds also cleaning there headstones as i go.I would like to hear if anyone has any information about some of the lads that are in the grounds and would be happy to share what i find along the way.

Welcome. I am sure that if you are able to post the names someone on here will do some research.

ok will upload some pictures and the progress of some of the work iam doing cleaning the lads headstones,thanks fir your time

a before and after shots of some of the cleaning ive been doing at the church, if anyone can give any help on some of the war records that would be great,thanks for any time spent on thisIMG_2019-01-13_16-00-35[71].JPG

A quick search on Ancestry comes up with the following:-
Private 1289 William Lines of the 14th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment died of his wounds in France and Flanders theatre of war on 5th May 1917.
Doesn't give age but says he was born in Aston. Will try and do a bit more research later.

what a splendid thing you are doing rossclr...yes please keep us updated on progress...i am sure some our members will be only to happy to do a little research for you on some of our heroes:) i have one rellie who died in ww1 but i know he is buried in france

lyn

I wonder if all the headstones refer to men in the Royal Warwickshire Regt.? If so we have a good thread on that Regiment.
Admirable work, well done.

CWGC gives G E Beech as the son of Samuel and Lydia Beech of 5 Sydney Place, Wainwright Street, Aston. Reg no. 5096217.

A bit more digging reveals G E is George Edwin. On 1911 census he is listed with both parents and 3 brothers and 1 sister at 4 Oliver Terrace, Wainwright Street. By 1939 they are at 5 back of 59 Wainwright Street and there are 2 other children listed. Some of family still listed there on 1955 e roll.

Last edited:
More info on William Lines.
He died of his wounds in King Georges Hospital, London and his effects (i.e. pay owing) was given to his father John.
In the 1911 census I could only come across one John Lines with a son named William and they lived at 233 Frederick Road, Aston together with his mother Mary.
He was 16 years old and his given occupation was a woodturner.
There is a baptism record which matches him and his parents at St Mathias church, Wheeler Street on 8th May 1895 and living at 233 Frederick Road.
Still trying to find Service record but no joy yet.

Last edited:
1925 Electoral roll lists John and Mary Lines living at 233 Frederick Rd.
1927 list only has John living there. There is a registered death in June 1926 (6d page 543) of a Mary Lines.
Can't find any further reference to either person or any other children. It seems, sadly, that branch of their family ended with the death of William in 1917.

I couldn't find a service record for George Beech either - not surprising when so many were destroyed Inn WW2.

Last edited:
At the moment I can't find any medal records nor a death registered in 1921 for George Beech which seems odd. I also notice he died in 1921 so assume he died from wounds.
Just found burial record at Aston and it gives "abode" as Ireland which would explain why I haven't found a death record if he died there. It is also the only record with no vicars signature - not sure if that is significant or not.

Looked at Medal roll for William Lines.
Victory: Roll L/104 B21 Page 4435
British: " " " " "
1915 Star L/1B Page 322

It also gives his entry into the France theatre of war as 21/11/1915

In the remarks column is D of W which I assume means died of wounds.

Hey guys,new to the forum so sorry if this has been covered in the past,i,am researching some of the lads who served in ww1/ww2 who are buried in the grounds also cleaning there headstones as i go.I would like to hear if anyone has any information about some of the lads that are in the grounds and would be happy to share what i find along the way.
Fair play theres a load of WW1 graves in the churchyard on long acre Nechells

what a splendid thing you are doing rossclr...yes please keep us updated on progress...i am sure some our members will be only to happy to do a little research for you on some of our heroes:) i have one rellie who died in ww1 but i know he is buried in france

lyn
do you know were in France .

1925 Electoral roll lists John and Mary Lines living at 233 Frederick Rd.
1927 list only has John living there. There is a registered death in June 1926 (6d page 543) of a Mary Lines.
Can't find any further reference to either person or any other children. It seems, sadly, that branch of their family ended with the death of William in 1917.
thats a real shame when the family name dies in such a way

At the moment I can't find any medal records nor a death registered in 1921 for George Beech which seems odd. I also notice he died in 1921 so assume he died from wounds.
Just found burial record at Aston and it gives "abode" as Ireland which would explain why I haven't found a death record if he died there. It is also the only record with no vicars signature - not sure if that is significant or not.
iam popping along to the warickshire regiment museum in a week or so maybe some news from there,will let you know.

Back