• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Chain and Hook

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
Who remembers the Aston Chain and Hook on the corner of Tyburn road and Bromford lane. My late brother Peter worked there and most of our family wedding receptions was held in their canteen, great times. Any photo?

I have a photo of the Aston Chain and Hook factory.I will get my son to put it on the site for you.I will learn how to do it myself one of these days!!!.BobS.

Frothy I know this is not what you asked for but I was a typist for a firm who dealt with this company. The telephonist used to phone them up and ask where their missing link went. It doesn't sound funny now but it was at the time. Jean.

I lived around the corner in Tyburn Road from 1953 until 1964. At the back of the houses was a drive so we could get to our garages. The other side of the drive was a metal fence which backed onto the factory. Here's a modern pic of my house, thought I'd better take it before it was knocked down like the row of houses were I was born in Bromford Lane.

It was taken over by Delta in the seventies. Had some great wedding receptions in their canteen in the past

I was an apprentice at the AC&H from 1958 to 1963 and left in 1964. I enjoyed my time there working in various departments managed by Mr Stickly production, Mr Sleigh sales, Mr Irvine company secretary, Mr Hathaway salesman, Mr White toolroom and Mr Bond-Williams managing director.
Happy, carefree times.

I lived around the corner in Tyburn Road from 1953 until 1964. At the back of the houses was a drive so we could get to our garages. The other side of the drive was a metal fence which backed onto the factory. Here's a modern pic of my house, thought I'd better take it before it was knocked down like the row of houses were I was born in Bromford Lane.
We must have been close neighbours for a short while - I lived at 535 from 1941 to 1 Jan 1955. I recently had the idea of going back to photograph my old haunts (particularly the walk from home to Ryland Road school) and came across this site looking for old photos for comparison. Lots of interesting info here - must spend some time browsing.

Hi David, we moved from just around the corner (Bromford Lane) to 527 in 1953. I used to walk to and from Ryland Rd school as well, playing marbles most of the time so was often late back!

6 Feb 1952, I was playing marbles with Willie Wilde in front of the Navvy (Navigation pub) when my younger brother came running up - 'Mum says you've got to come home 'cos the King's dead'. Just one of those memories that really sticks.
Willie Wilde lived in the new houses in Bromford Lane that were put up to replace the bombed ones.

I was an apprentice at the AC&H from 1958 to 1963 and left in 1964. I enjoyed my time there working in various departments managed by Mr Stickly production, Mr Sleigh sales, Mr Irvine company secretary, Mr Hathaway salesman, Mr White toolroom and Mr Bond-Williams managing director.
Happy, carefree times.

My dad Dennis blunston worked at the Aston chain and hook company in the tool room from 1959 to 1969 at one stage he was toolroom Forman

Back