• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Brewery

W

Wendy

I wonder if anyone has any information about this family the name is Cox. I always thought this was quite a spectacular memorial at Key Hill cemetery and was told the family were connected to an Aston Brewery. I wrote down some information from the memorial some time ago, names Edwin and Naomi Cox. I found a Naomi Cox in 1871 and Edwin is listed as retired brewer. 'Class RG10 Piece 3154 Folio 26, Page 3. There is also Eliza Cox died 1875 age 45 also Alfred Cox died 1879 aged 49 (of long lane near Rowley Regis) Other names are George, Emma,Theodore and Rhoda.
The memorial has several names which I will photograph when I next visit. Some of the panels have worn away as they are sandstone.
I thought it might be an interesting project.

Cox's Brewery

Hi Wendy

I have a little b it of information that may help you. In 1883 there was a Pub on Ashted Row called " PARLIAMENT HOUSE " it was part of an estate owned Charles COX. He was a Maltster Brewer & Hop Merchant. He had premises on Birchfield Road, Summer Lane and Well Street. He died 0n 12 April 1885 whe he was living at Bromford House, Lozells. His wife was Lydia & he had a son Herbert Albert Cox. When Charles died he left an estate of £5795 Today that would be about £350.000 !!

I hope this is of use

Roger

Rodger, Hello and a warm welcome to the web ring. Thank you so much the information is brilliant. I have been trying for ages to find something out about the Cox family. Is it ok if I use this information on a website.

Cox's Brewery

Hi Wendy

I have a little b it of information that may help you. In 1883 there was a Pub on Ashted Row called " PARLIAMENT HOUSE " it was part of an estate owned Charles COX. He was a Maltster Brewer & Hop Merchant. He had premises on Birchfield Road, Summer Lane and Well Street. He died 0n 12 April 1885 whe he was living at Bromford House, Lozells. His wife was Lydia & he had a son Herbert Albert Cox. When Charles died he left an estate of £5795 Today that would be about £350.000 !!

I hope this is of use

Roger
Hi! Edwin Cox was probably the co-founder, (with ?White) of the Hockley Brewery, Nursary Terrace(now Road) in 1833, as Cox & White. By 1850 this business was being operated by brothers Edwin and George Henry Cox, followed by George Cox, Skinnner, & Co. This was taken over by Messrs Taylor & Cowell about 1855, which became George Taylor alone around 1860 - who operated the brewery until Showell's Brewery of Langley Green took over the business in 1890.

Back