• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston born, Australian Army

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
Last weekend when I visited Gommecourt No2 Cemetery, Hebuterne, to take photographs for 'Momma P' I came across a grave of a Brummie killed whilst serving in the Australian Army.

The Australian Archives have all his information and it is free to look at and download.

He was Private Frank Hodges of the 16th Battalion Australian Infantry.

He was the son of Frank & Fanny Hodges of 159 High Street, Aston.

Frank junior was a Cook in Australia when he enlisted 25 September 1916 at the age of 26. He was 5ft 9ins. Had brown eyes and hair, weighed 135lbs and his chest measurement was 32 inches and 34 inches expanded.

He joined the 16th Bn Australian Infantry, and sailed to the UK on 22 Dec 1916.

On 26 September 1917 he received a head wound from shell fire when serving in Belgium.
After he recovered he was posted back to his unit on 24 October 1917.

Frank was given nearly a months leave to the Uk from 13 March to 13 April 1918.

(I wonder if he visited his family back in Birmingham?)

Three days later Frank was killed by shell fire whilst in the trenches.

The records also show he was originally buried in 'Cat Lodge' Cemetery and later exhumed and reburied in Gommecourt British Cemetery 2, Hebuterne.

found this on cwgc.not much information.

sniper_tlc.jpg

cwgc_hdr_trc.gif

Casualty Details

Name:HODGES, FRANKInitials:FNationality:AustralianRank privateRegiment/Service:Australian Infantry, A.I.F.Unit Text:19th Bn.Age:28Date of Death:19/04/1918Service No:7021Additional information:Son of Frank and Fanny Hodges, of High St., Aston, Birmingham, England.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:II. L. 4.Cemetery:GOMMECOURT BRITISH CEMETERY No.2, HEBUTERNE

Home | Site Map | Contact Us | Useful Links | Debt of Honour | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Credits

Should I put it on the Birmingham and Warwickshire Rootsweb. I am sure if there are any Hodges family about they would love this information. Its so good of Terry to go out of his way like this.

Back