• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Barracks

Thanks Janet Hunt and all. I found an image which suits my purpose more or less (Yew Street Road's proximity to the Barracks). Though Janet Hunt your image find was a lot better. I just can't find a way to embed it on my history website.

Attachments

• Aston-Hall-Aerial-EPW044612.jpeg
    Aston-Hall-Aerial-EPW044612.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 22
not sure if this is of any help...found it on another forum

Could it be Witton Barracks you needed? These were in Witton Rd. and occupied by Post Office Telephones as a depot when I started there in the 1950s. Can't remember them too well but were pretty grim prison-like buildings. We kept a fleet of green vans and lorries there and had refuelling facilities. I feel that there are Photos in one of the many Alton Douglas books.

Thanks Janet Hunt and all. I found an image which suits my purpose more or less (Yew Street Road's proximity to the Barracks). Though Janet Hunt your image find was a lot better. I just can't find a way to embed it on my history website.
Is that the onion fair in your picture Annbee?

Could it be Witton Barracks you needed?
Hello Astoness, tahnks for your interest. No I don't think so. I've been trawling through War Diaries - and read elsewhere - that Aston Barracks was, at least early in the piece in 1915/1916, the mobilisation centre for the 2/8th Royal Warwickshire Battalion. I am interested in the surrounding streets because my soldier great uncle's child was born just 2 streets away and his wife appeared to be living in another street again 2 streets away. It's no coincidence the baby was born so close to Aston Barracks. I suspect the wife was living here to be close to the Barracks for a reason; baby was born at Christmas and the 2/8th Warwicks allowed some men special leave just after Christmas. I'd hope the father was allowed home. It was perhaps the only time he got to see his baby daughter. It did not end well.

Attachments

• BEACH-thomas-richard-2nd 8th-Warwicks - locations-1915.png
    BEACH-thomas-richard-2nd 8th-Warwicks - locations-1915.png
    472.8 KB · Views: 1
You can't leave it just there Janet Hunt?! I can see a fairground of some sort now that you point it out. But Onion fair? Do tell.
here you are...it was just a normal fair given that name...lots of info and photos on below thread..it was on ground next to the aston tavern pub lichfield road as far as memory takes me

Back