• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Anglers

This a photo of the Ansells Brewery Aston Cross angling team at Burton. My husband and brother are on it. Some years ago I guess. Jean.

Love the "Breaking the Ice" one. Takes me back to when as a lad I caught my first Tench. I was fishing at the Pretty Pigs, Amington with my 2 uncles. It was below freezing and a tench was the last thing on my mind!
On a more modern note, I was fishing an old estate lake down here in Oxfordshire a few days ago and wasn't getting any bites so fed this family with groundbait and maggots. They came right up to my feet eventually. However, early on there were 6 ducklings and by the time I packed up there were only 5. Ahh.

David, tench are my favourit fish. We had a tame one in our pond that used to come up and suck sausage meat off your finger. I buried him when he died. Softy. Lloyd that is brilliant can't wait for him to come back. He's been gone sometime. The may have sent him for an x ray?. Jean.

The BAA was for many years the largest angling club in the country so there's got to be a few of us here who went maggot dangling as kids. Anyone remember fishing in Salford Park or the canal? Trips to Ward End and Pype Hayes parks were a regular treat but of course, there was never any point in fishing in the 'Terrible Tame'. I used to get my tackle and bait from a shop in the Lichfield Road, just up from the Domestic. I cant remember the name but I always remember the pike skull they had in the front of the window. Anyone know the name of the show?
Pittaways comes to mind. Max

Thanks Lloyd. I can't imagine him fishing in those conditions now. His excuse is it is either too hot too cold too windy nowadays. I think he's lost interest in fishing as he would go in all weathers and get up half way through the night and come back just before dark the next day. I used to take a hot drink and sandwiches for him. He still fishes the pools but prefers the river. Only saying today that he will try to get his enthusiasm back next year. Jean.

hi.me dad and brother used to go to tewskbury at around 5 am.to break the ice.after the pike.

Hi
My Grandfarther was Bill Dolphin , he was the Water Baliff at Earlswood lakes in the 50's and 60's he patrolled the 3 lakes at Earlswood and very few Anglers got away without paying for their days fishing licence. I was the lanky youth in those days who bailed out and organised the Punts hire each weekend and sold worms and Maggots that I used to get from Astwood Bank maggotry on my Vincent Black Shadow... really happy days ...

Lofty Pete used to fish there with his brothers and a couple of mates. You were correct in saying no one got away without paying. He also canoed with the Aston Boys club. Jean.

On the Tench front, I saw hundreds of them in a canal at Tiverton one day. The canal now has been dredged but back then it was overgrown and divided by weeds and in one small section was this writhing mass just under the water. What the story was I don't know...maybe little rain and low level of oxygen. That stretch of canal is open now and there are barges for rides.
On the fishing front I was an enthusiast for years from a young lad and my father taught me, but...now, I won't fish anymore. I don't know it does not seem right anymore. If you are catching something for a meal...well ok but just to pull a living creature out of the only element where it can live...by it's lip...just for pleasure and only to throw it back. It's not right for me. Imagine sitting down to your dinner and suddenly being hoisted up to the ceiling by a hook through the lip or jiblet. I still have several sets of rods but they will never be used again.

Here's a pic I posted before but can't remember the thread! It's one of my ancestors (according to Ancestry he is the "paternal grandfather of husband of my aunt"!) who was a member of the fishing club at The Royal Britannia Pub, Park Lane, Aston. The group represent the fishing, kennel and air gun groups. From my ancestor's age I think it was taken early in the 1900s.

photo_edit (1500 x 1045).jpg

My husband Barry Reeves lived on Lichfield Road Aston until 1967 and was a member of the BAA - he said the fishing tackle shops were Olly Bayliss and Bert Pittaway - the Vine public house on Lichfield Road the angling club was called the Truthful Arms

Fishing Trips

Dennis Bonner, worked at Benton and Stone, 1946-49 and again 1952-54. It sat on Aston Brook Street-through-Bracebridge Street. I have a brillient photo of the chaps from Benton and Stone, outside the factory, preparing for one of their fishing trips..........bus and all (Millers, the headlamp factory can be seen in the background).........stories to go with it......although some not printable! :oops:
Did anyone work there? Or go on the fishing trips? Dennis particularly recalls Harry and Jimmy Underhill, who lived on Parliment Street, and worked in Maintainance at the time.I will get the photo to the site asap.
Hello SuBee. My dad used to work at benton & stones in the 60's. Not sure what his job was though. All I can remember was, when he came home, he wore white overalls. Me & my two brother went there for a christmas party. My dad's name was Arthur.

Back