• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston 1937

gingerjon

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN R.I.P.
this was taken in Aston 1937 for the Coronation of King George the lady standing next to the person dressed as a vicar is Mrs Beal who lived in Parliament street Aston but I don't think is is taken in Parliamennt street any ideas ?

As you know this is not my school John, but for George 5th coronation we each received a coronation mug filled with chocoate - Wish I still had mine it might be one of those items much sought after today.

John, l could be wrong but it looks like Parliament St to me,!!! Brenda

John, I agree with Brenda that it is Parliament Street, possibly the houses near to Mrs. Griggs' shop, as Mrs. Beale lived in a house with a bay window, all the houses her side of the road from the corner of Burlington Street to Upper Webster Street had bay windows. The photo was taken either on Coronation Day 12th May 1937, or the Silver Jubilee in 1935 of George V and Queen Mary. I have tried to see if I recognise anyone, but rather difficult as I wasn't born then. My best friend Barbara Inson was born 12th May 1937 and was given a silver spoon. possibly from one of the newspapers, but her mother not being sentimental used it as an ordinary spoon!!!! and it is now long gone.

HI JOHN
Do You Know What No House Mrs Beales House Was As You Know The Jelfs Lived That End I Think You Said Some timeAgo And I Think It Was No 2 Or 4 ,
Parliment Street And Whether That Was Just Afew Kids From The Street Or The Lot Of Them I Can Recall My Mother Memorising When She Was A Baby In The Street When The King Came Down ,Its A Pity My Mom AIN,t Around Today To See This Cracking Pic ,Even If She Was Not On The Pic She Would Have Known Half Them Kids If Not All I Haven,t Seen A Pic Of My Mother For Years When She Was 3 Years OLD With Her Parents On Holiday With Billy Cotton The Band Leader , [Wakey , Wakey,]
As My Younger Sister As Them Locked Up In Her Attic So I Cannot Compare Them To
See If She Was Amongest The Kids Many Thanks Again ASTONIAN ,;;;;;

Oh Astonian can't your younger sister make copies or share some of the pictures of your mother with you -if they are all locked up in the attic she must seldom look at them. . .

My mother and her sister were born in Parliament Street in 1928 and 1930.It is nice to see the picture as i wondered where it is and what it was like.Is Parliament Street still there?

Pam, what was your mother's family name and did they live in Parliament Street for a long time. We lived just round the corner in Copeley Street, my parents moved there on their wedding day in 1923 and stayed until 1968 when the area was demolished.

Astonian, I think if your relatives lived at no.2 or 4 it would have been the top end near to Park Lane, I had a friend who lived at no.20 - these were flat windowed houses and coming from Park Lane were on the left hand side of Parliament Street.

Sylvia MY mom's maiden name is Hickman they moved to Pelham Road when my mom was about 9 in 1939.My grandparents married in 1924 and lived in Parliament street until the move to Alum Rock.I've no idea where it is.

SylviaSayers - '...My best friend Barbara Inson was born 12th May 1937 and was given a silver spoon. possibly from one of the newspapers..'

My younger brother was also born on that day. He had a silver spoon from The Birmingham Gazette newspaper and a christening cup off J. Smedley Crooke, MP for the Deritend Division at the time. He still has them and keeps them well polished. I think he also got 2 guineas from the King or government but I imagine the old man soon spent that celebrating down the pub. :)

Icarus how wonderful that your brother still has these unique mementos of his birthday. My friend's mother so often regretted not keeping the silver spoon for Barbara, but she was very young (l8) at the time and quite hard up.

Back