• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

February 2013 edition Story of Ashted

I believe that church is where my mother and father got married, around 1946. They married there as my grandfather, my mothers father, was licensee of the Turks Head public house. I believe that was Bloomsbury St.

sheldontony

I still don't know if you mean Francis St or Great Francis St, the attached map shows them both. It also shows the location of the Turks Head on the corner of Bloomsbury St and Saltley Rd. I've attached a photo of the pub as well, although I believe there are others on here.

Attachments

• Nechells.jpg
    Nechells.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Nechells Turks Head.jpg
    Nechells Turks Head.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 39
Thanks for the map and pic.. I am not sure if it was Francis st, all I remember is the bus from town, down Coleshill St I believe. Then we got off and went up a road into the road my Aunt live, I think it was Francis St.

It sounds like Francis Street to me as the buses ran down Great Francis Street so there would have been no need to walk down another street, Si roughly what year are we talking about and there is anything else you can remember about the street?

Around early 50s, I was born 1948 so around time i was 5 to 10ish. On the corner of the road was a large tyre company. Not being much help, mind you its 10 at night here, getting sleepy. Few San Miguels doesnt help lol

Phil, looked at the map but cant see where my grandfathers pub was, bloomsbury st. Probably me, my eyes are getting worse.

It looks very like to me that your house was in the third quarter of Francis Street near the bend in the road. The only tyre company I know of around there was the Lodge Tyre Company on the junction of Bloomsbury St and Henry St, The premises backed on to Francis Street where it crossed over Henry St (see photo).

As for your uncles yard at 152 Francis St that would be just down from Willis St just about opposite the rear of the Ashted Cinema.

Attachments

• Nechells Bloomsbury St - Henage St 1950 .jpg
    Nechells Bloomsbury St - Henage St 1950 .jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 31
I remember the Lodge tyre sign, almost opposite my uncles yard. I think you have the location spot on, going past his yard the road did bend.

Phil, looked at the map but cant see where my grandfathers pub was, bloomsbury st. Probably me, my eyes are getting worse.

The location of the Turks Head is marked on the map with a red X you do know if you click on the thumbnail it enlarges don't you?

Attachments

• Nechells.jpg
    Nechells.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
thanks Phil. Although I went to Ashted probably hundreds of times when I was young I have no idea where anywhere was. In fact whilst still at school I worked some evenings at Ashted Service station near the viaduct but I dont know where that was in relation to Bloomsbury St.

thanks Phil. Although I went to Ashted probably hundreds of times when I was young I have no idea where anywhere was. In fact whilst still at school I worked some evenings at Ashted Service station near the viaduct but I dont know where that was in relation to Bloomsbury St.

Having lived in Francis Street, I never thought of any of the places you have mentioned so far as Ashted and our postal address in Francis St was always Nechells, certainly the Ashted Service Station on the junction of Nechells place and the previous site of the Carlton Theatre was on the border of Nechells and Saltley so it was a bit of a misnomer, but perhaps they had moved there from somewhere else and took the name with them.

I relation to your uncles pub it was probably only a five minute walk from where you worked at the Ashted Service Station marked 1 & 2 on the map, I've also included a photo of Nechells Place you might recognise.

Attachments

• Street Plan East Birmingham.jpg
    Street Plan East Birmingham.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Nechells Saltley Road Ashted-Service Station 1954.jpg
    Nechells Saltley Road Ashted-Service Station 1954.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 45
Thanks for map showing petrol station and location of Turks Head. I didn't realise how close I was, as you said. In fact I worked at Southalls Alum Rock for many years and used the 14/55 bus from city centre. Didnt realise Bloomsbury street was just off the bus route.

yes bloomsbury street ran off the end of ahted row, the police station was there too, my sister lived in a big house there they were caretakers for bowens building yard they got bombed out and were lucky to escape.

I believe my mother, aunt, grandparents lived at the turks head during WW2 and must have endured bombing. I have often wondered how serious the bombing near there would have been.

Ashted Row Picture Palace. Looks about 1910/20. Lots of film choices advertised. Must have been the hey day of cinema going. Viv.

image.jpeg

Back