• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

ashted service station

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
now i know ive already posted a pic of the building in the background but i cant remember seeing this perticular shot...of course i stand to be corrected....ashted service station saltley rd...1957

pic courtesy of carl chinn

Lyn - I am almost sure that the bus stops to the right are by the public toilets where the miners strike took place later in the 1970's. Mabz

hi,all mayfield they were.and there was a red phone box there too.which was handy when it was raining,that is if you could get in there,lol

Lyn. Youve done it again. That service station is the one I used all the time. I lived just up the road in Duddeston Manor Rd, so it was my local. Its also where my Dad took me to get my very first motor, which was either an Austin A30, or A35, I can never remember which. And your right, there where toilets and a phone box there. Thanks again Lyn, I dont know what I would do without you. Barry.

Hello Lyn,

Have posted this photo before and ones of the same view, but don't worry, there are so many photos on the site now, it's hard to find one which no one else has seen.
Keep looking ,we all need a breath of fresh air, and may be one of us will come up with a real gem, and like your search for the Vine, it will happen one day.
Look after yourself and keep your chin up, John.

Can anyone help? I am interested to know if there was a scrap car dealers that went by the name of Ward and Peters which was on or near this site.
Thank you all for any help.

Sorry John, I must have missed the photo when you posted it. But, as you say, there are that many photos on here it is easy to miss one. Barry.

hi all..so glad you all liked the pic..john somewhere in the back of my mind i thought i had seen it before but was pretty certain i hadnt posted it...glad i did though as bazz missed it first time round...

lyn

Lyn

Here's a couple more to go with your's. The first one is from roughly the same era as your one. The second is a bit later and a tiny bit more crowded, but brings back memories of cold dark nights.

Phil

NechellsAshtedServiceStnSaltleyRd1957.jpg
SaltleyGasWorksNUMPicket-1.jpg

hi richard please dont think me thick or owt and although i love posting pics of all areas saltley and around there was not my patch...but thanks for posting the info...also i have no idea who eric bolton was....

lyn

strange you should say that bazz as unless we had two miners strikes my memory of it was that it was round about 1983/4

lyn

Didn,t we have a strike when Ted Heath was in power which caused the three day week that was in the 70s. The Saltley stand off was later with Arthur Scargill. Dek

The Battle of Saltley Gate as it became called by the press was on February 2nd 1972. It was led by Arthur Scargill and it was this struggle by the NUM that made him a national figure. It also played a deciding roll in Bringing Ted Heaths government down.

Phil

thanks for that info phil...could you tell me what strike i am thinking about that was in the 80s please...

cheers

lyn

Phil Thanks for putting me facts right i knew King Arthur confronted Maggie Thatcher in th 80s didn,t realize he was at Saltely. Was he leader of the miners union that long. Dek

Lyn

I think you are talking about Orgreave in 1984 a struggle that ended with the decimation of our mining industry, and set "that woman" on the path of ruining every bit of industry this country had left.

Phil

Hi all. where Asted service was it is now a supermarket.
do you remember the Olive Branch pub in Adderly Rd.
my father in law used to be the manager of the pub
hios name was Jack Conboy.used to get all the railway
in it.
regards.

Can anyone help? I am interested to know if there was a scrap car dealers that went by the name of Ward and Peters which was on or near this site.
Thank you all for any help.

Ernie

Can't find a Ward & Peters, Could it have been C.C.Ward & Sons 126 Cato Street. They also had yards in Great Francis St & Lord St.

Phil

RICHARD. PHIL. All I know is that my mother had told me that my Uncle had worked there at some point in time ( In the said area ). I just wondered if it was a fact but my Uncle and my Mother have since passed on.

Lyn

Here's a couple more to go with your's. The first one is from roughly the same era as your one. The second is a bit later and a tiny bit more crowded, but brings back memories of cold dark nights.

Phil

Hi, Phil,

Your picture of Saltley garage brings back a little childhood memory of when my dad was trying out a second-hand car he had just bought and took me with him.

We drove down Gt. Lister Street to the top of Saltley Road, when the engine cut out...

"Ugh!, Ugh!, he grunted, and pointed to the petrol gauge. "Petrol...", he said.

And, do you know, that car rolled all the way down Saltley Road to the bottom of the hill where he simply turned into the service station at the bottom and asked the attendant for a couple of gallons...!!!

Talk about luck...!

Cheers,

Jim (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

RICHARD. PHIL. All I know is that my mother had told me that my Uncle had worked there at some point in time ( In the said area ). I just wondered if it was a fact but my Uncle and my Mother have since passed on.

Ernie

So what time frame are we taking about, the 20's & 30's possibly?

Ph

PHIL. I feel quite sure that it would be in the 1920's or 1930's as I know that in the 1940's he was at the Metro Cammel in Saltley.

Back