• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ashted Row Barracks 1890s

Carolyno

Hello I am trying to trace my Great grandad/mother I have a baptism certificate showing their address as
47A Ashted Row. The occupation of my great grandad was a private in the 6th Dragoons, Was there a army camp
in the area as I am not sure what brought them to Birmingham

You do not say when this refers to but 43 Ashted Row (red marker on map c1889) is quite close to the cavalry barracks

map c 1889 showing cavalry barracks and 43 Ashted row.jpg

Thank you for the map, The date of baptisms was 1896, so I agree they were close to the Barracks.Do you know if the barracks had a name? I have the 1901 census for my great grandmother who then lived in Aldershot Hampshire (stated as a visitor) but no record of my great grandad. He may have come to Aldershot with the Army as so many did. Lots more searching to be done. But you have helped a lot. Many Thanks

In Kellys directory and other places they are just described as Cavalry Barracks, Great Brook St

cracking photo jonob..my 4xgt grandparents susannah and henry harrington are buried at st james the less..well at least their bodies were there not sure if they are still there now but would love to find out for certain one way or the other

lyn

cracking photo jonob..my 4xgt grandparents susannah and henry harrington are buried at st james the less..well at least their bodies were there not sure if they are still there now but would love to find out for certain one way or the other

lyn
Here's a not very good pic of the Church and you can see some headstones beyond the railings, John.St James Ashted.jpg

lyn

Lyn

I believe the burials from the churchyard at St James the Less were re-interred at Witton Cemetery in 1956 when the church was demolished. As I have said before a lot of the gravestone memorials were laid flat on the ground to form a sort of memorial park near the top of Barrack Street.

Here's a picture of the Barracks also to the left the local church of "St James the Less", John.View attachment 133841

As an 'old soldier' with an interest in military history, I wonder if anyone has any further information on which units occupied these barracks? On the 1888 OS map they are shown as 'Cavalry Barracks'; in 1902 as 'Artillery Barracks' and on the 1913 map merely as 'Barracks'.

As a child, I often wondered where the 'Garrisons' were in Garrison Lane and Garrison Street when my mother sent me to fetch the Sunday joint from Deightons (? spelling) Butchers in Cattell Road and hoped to see soldiers. [I used to board the tram at Stechford terminus (always sitting in the 'open air' seats on top) with the meat money wrapped in a note for the butcher.] Does anyone know the origin of these street names and what they relate to?
I also wondered where the 'camp' was at Camp Hill; I understand it is connected with the English Civil War and the Battle of Camp Hill?

Any information, references etc would be much appreciated.

datadave, Atherstone

According to Carl Chinn (Streets of Brum pt 2) there was a farm on what was later named Garrison lane named Garrison Farm which was claimed (though not substantiated) to have been garrisoned by soldiers in the English Civil War

Back