• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ashted Brewery, Heneage Street

Hello Again Colin

It says here that The Ashted Brewery was on Ashted Row and it was owned by George Wilkinson & Co it further states that they ceased brewing in 1890 so it is doubtful that a photo will be found, but never say never.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...v=onepage&q=Ashted brewery Birmingham&f=false

As for the Heneage Street connection I did find a Ashted Brewery owned by Marrion & Cracklow at 244 Heneage St in Slaters 1846 Directory. 244 Heneage Street is listed later as Heneage Metals.

Last edited:
The Ashted Brewery existed in Heneage St from at least May 1829, as a property advert listed it as being close to the brewery there. As Phil says it was originally owned by Marrion & Cracklow. John Marron died in 1840, but presumably another family member took it on, but It was advertised for sale "after the death of Mr Marrion". Advertismants for the formation of a limited Ashted Brewery Co were placed in June 1861 but it was advertised for sale "on behalf of creditors" in December 1861. The sale was cancelled, but in 1863 the brewery was advertised for sale by the executors of Mr Marrion (no mention of creditors), and the site apparently used for other purposes , the purchasers not wanting the plant, which was sold separately. In 1844 we start hearing of the Ashted Brewery in Ashtead Row. don't think you bought the name of a company in those days. Maybe they bought the brewing plant and recipes.in the plant sale.

Birm_post_21_5_1863.jpg
birm_J__1_4_1863.jpg
aris_birm_gaz_15_6_1861.jpg
aris_birm_gaz__28_12_1861.jpg
aris_b__Gaz_28_8_1854.jpg

Hi pedrocut
Have you read my reslose to the sea horse last thread i have give last night
Astonian,

how i missed this thread i will never know:eek: my4x and 5x gt grandfathers were living in heneage st from at least1841 to 71 so must have seen ashted brewery..wouldnt think they worked there though as they were brushmakers and glassblowers

lyn

Thanks for your comments and information about the Ashted Brewery and also "the Sea Horse" inn located in Buck Street.
John Marrian was my Grandmother's Grandfather. His son William was my Great Grandfather. We have photos of William
and many artefacts associated with the brewery and the pub including photos of the Sea Horse when it was a Temperance Coffee Bar over seen by the Methodist Church in Birmingham. The one item we do not have is a picture of the brewery nor exactly where
it was situated in Heneage Street.My late father had an idea it may have been on the former site of Newton Oils near to Woodcock
Street.That may not be the case as property numbers generally run away from the city and Newton oils was located at the city end of Heneage Street. Most the original Heneage Street was destroyed when the slums were cleared in the 1950's
Here is a taster . An original poster catalogue and the night watchman's truncheon with the words 'Do your duty-Ashted Brewery'
It is hard to read all the words on this photo but it mentions two waggon horses 'Nobby' and 'Boxer' and even refrigeration equipment !!-Remember this was 1862 !
Colin Smith
More to come when I have time to sort out various items we have in our possession associated with these two buildings
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Colin
The Ashtead brewery changed its name in 1884 to the Birmingham Town Brewery and was at 185-188 Ashtead Row (info from Birmingham Breweries by Joseph McKenna). It can be seen below in this c1889 map (brewing finished 1890 so just got in) on the corner of Windsor St.

map showing birmingham town brewery ex Ashtead brewery.jpg

Mike

I find that odd because this photo of that corner of Windsor Street is shown on the map as open yard, but this photo of that corner in the 60's shortly before it was demolished shows that there were buildings. The only thing I can suggest is that these premises were built shortly after that map was produced. I know that the photo is correct because I remember the catering hire shop that was there at that time. So perhaps this is when the Brewery moved to Heneage Street?

Sorry I should have added or from here to Heneage Street to here?

Nechells Ashted Row - Windsor St 1961 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Phil
As I said the brewery ceased brewing in 1890. the c1921 map shows a row of buildings has been built on Ashtead row along what was the edge of the yard . The building you showed the photo of must be the end one of this row.

map c1921 corner ashtead row and windsor st.jpg

I believe the original Ashted Brewery closed and was sold [see poster Jan 2nd/3rd 1862] as a result of the affairs of
John Marrian being wound up after his decease. I am not sure what happened to Mr Cracklow his partner. It is apparent that the
business was sold and bought by someone else and run from an address in Ashted Row.
William Marrian his son may not have wanted to take the business on for reasons I will allude to on another occasion.

I have a 'Marrian' family tree which I will have to check some dates on . It gives the link to the Marrian connection with the
the Sea Horse Inn as well.
It is a well documented and goes back to around 1450 when a certain Marrian Depres came to England just before the the
Hugenots
Colin Smith

As I said at the beginning of this thread, Slaters Directory puts Ashted Brewery at 244 Heneage Street in 1846. So unless there was a renumbering at sometime this site at the corner of Adams Street and Heneage Street was later taken over by Heneage Metals. I've attached a photo of that building from the 60's and another one of it now as miraculously (for Nechells) it has survived. I post these to give an idea of the location.

Nechells Adam Street Birmingham 1960s Heneage Metals.jpg 244 heneage street.JPG

I have done a little more research [see three attachments]
What I have gleaned is that Francis Marrian was married to Ann and they had a son called William.
Francis successfully ran the 'Sea Horse Inn' and then his son took over from him and ran it for a number of years.
He had a brother called John who ran the Ashted Brewery. He married Maria Bromwich a widow of 25 when he was 53
and they had a son called Francis William Marrian [my Great Grandfather]. John died June 3rd 1840 at the age of 75 and
Maria died at the age of 45 in 1838.
The Poster/catalogue indicates that the brewery was up for sale in January 1862 ?
Also when John was married to Maria in 1818 it is said he was of the Birmingham Brewery.
The later brewery in Ashted Row is marked on the map as Birmingham Town Brewery ?
Any answers please
Colin
PS
While I was typing this something came to mind. I seem to remember receiving a letter some one years ago about the
Sea Horse inn.I had sent a letter to the Birmingham Mail asking for help with my research.The sender of the letter told
me about a late female relative of there's who had worked there and been treated as a virtual slave for many years.
I will try and find it.

Attachments

• img238.pdf
    149.4 KB · Views: 35
  • img239.pdf
    280.6 KB · Views: 16
  • img240.pdf
    274 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for posting the pictures and your research, I also have an interest in Marrian family history. My partner's Grandfather James Lyon Marrian is the Grandson of William Marrian (1797 -1851). Colin is teasing me the ownership of a photograph of William if he could post it would be most appreciated as I could attach to my family tree. It's tricky getting my mind around which William, James or Francis I'm looking at!

William Marrian 1797 - 1851 had a pub - the Sea-horse Inn, Buck Street, Birmingham. He and his wife Ann are buried at Warstone Lane Cemetery in the Jewellery Quarter. Both Marrians are buried in the same grave, there was a gravestone, but this was laid flat by the City Council in the 1950s, and, though it should still be there, it is now covered over, and there is no access to it.

Whilst researching William Marrian and The Sea Horse Inn I found an interesting newspaper article Aris’s Birmingham Gazette 1848 all about the Licensed Vituallers' Asylum and William Marrian’s part in the society and the formal stone laying ceremony.

It would be very interesting to find the trowel manufactured by Collis and Co for the Licensed Victuallers Asylum foundation stone laying ceremony. One would imagine that it would be something that has been kept, I have enquired at the Birmingham Museum but Birmingham Museums Trust has suspended its collections enquiries and appointments service in order to focus on major capital projects including the redevelopment of Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery and the creation of a new offsite museum store.

Helen

Attachments

• William Marrian - Aris's Gazette Sept 4 1848.pdf
    399 KB · Views: 13
Just to put a bit of extra information in that might be useful.
The name of Marrian crops up further afield, I was doing some research on a Brewery in my hometown of Mexborough called Bolsover & Sons.
I found the founder Henry Bolsover had previously been a partner in the Sheffield firm of Hinde, Marrian & Bolsover.
It's a while since I did the genealogy but if I remember rightly Marrian was a Brum. Bolsover and Hinde left the partnership around 1840...just a few years later Marrian was re-capitalised and went onto become Thomas Marrian based at the Burton Weir Brewery, Sheffield.
The Brewery History Society page suggests it was a moderate size, having 66 pubs at its closure, my research suggests it was much larger, with a lot of pubs being leasehold, I wouldn't be surprised if the number was at least 2 or 3x more.
They were exporters and had agents in Australia and New Zealand.
I'm not certain without making reference but I think Thos. Marrian became the Mayor of Sheffield.132358

Just to put a bit of extra information in that might be useful.
The name of Marrian crops up further afield, I was doing some research on a Brewery in my hometown of Mexborough called Bolsover & Sons.
I found the founder Henry Bolsover had previously been a partner in the Sheffield firm of Hinde, Marrian & Bolsover.
It's a while since I did the genealogy but if I remember rightly Marrian was a Brum. Bolsover and Hinde left the partnership around 1840...just a few years later Marrian was re-capitalised and went onto become Thomas Marrian based at the Burton Weir Brewery, Sheffield.
The Brewery History Society page suggests it was a moderate size, having 66 pubs at its closure, my research suggests it was much larger, with a lot of pubs being leasehold, I wouldn't be surprised if the number was at least 2 or 3x more.
They were exporters and had agents in Australia and New Zealand.
I'm not certain without making reference but I think Thos. Marrian became the Mayor of Sheffield.View attachment 132358

Extracts from the Marrian family tree https://www.marrian.org/

History and Pedigree of the Family of Marrian, formerly Depré, of Shropshire and Staffordshire (1957)

The present-day branch of the family at Birmingham began in the year 1796, when FRANCIS MARRIAN (X. 5.) (whose portrait also exists) became landlord of the "Sea-Horse" Inn at Aston. He made it into a remarkable and very well-known hostelry, combining the functions of inn, club and concert-hall; and a chapter is given to it in "Old Taverns of Birmingham", by Eliezer Edwards (Birmingham 1879). WILLIAM MARRIAN (XI. 9.), his son, succeeded him as landlord in 1840; and the "Sea-Horse" remained in the family's hands for many years afterwards. In addition, two breweries were owned by members of this branch in the early 19th century; MARRIAN & CRACKLOW, Ashted Brewery, Birmingham, in which JOHN MARRIAN (X. 4.), was a partner; and Burton Weir Brewery, Sheffield, which was founded in 1830 by THOMAS MARRIAN (XI. 12.), and eventually passed to his sons.

Mention may be made of certain other members of the Birmingham branch. JOHN MARRIAN (XI. 8.) was partner in a firm of stampers and piercers called MARRIAN & REYNOLDS; his brother, BENJAMIN JAMES PRATT MARRIAN (XI. 13.) was a brassfounder. In later generations, JAMES ROBERT MARRIAN (XII. 13.) became a Birmingham doctor, and WILLIAM LYON MARRIAN (XII Birmingham doctor, and WILLIAM LYON MARRIAN (XIII. 21.) founded the gold-pen manufacturing business of W L MARRIAN (PENS) LTD.

As Marrian is quite unusual name it is easy to find it in the records! I am finding it very interesting William Lyon Marrian founded the nib company.

Pedigree and History Morton Marrain (1952).pdf

As for the “Sea Horse” it passed to Francis’ son William (55) in 1840, to his widow Anne Marrian (55a) in 1851,and passed out of the Family at her death in 1863. We still have one of the original invitation cards to the fifty-third (and last) anniversary (1862) of the Baron of Beef Dinner, that was such a memorable institution of the “Sea Horse”: the guests are bidden to sit down to this mammoth feast at four in the afternoon!To conclude the story of the Tavern: it fell into disrepute in later years, then became a Methodist Mission Hall, and was finally destroyed by enemy action at the beginning of 1941.

The three sons of Francis Marrian referred to by Mr Wards are the younger sons: Francis (56), the silversmith; Thomas (57) the founder of Burton Weir Brewery, Sheffield, and resident of Thurcroft Hall, Rotherham; and Benjamin James Pratt Marrian (58), the brassfounder, who was the patentee of swinging oil lamps for ships. Unfortunately, none of these younger sons have left any descendants to carry on the name today.

Just to make a slight correction to the official history...the author may have assumed Burton Weir was founded in 1830, but that's not correct, the 1830's venture was the Spring St Brewery of Hinde, Marrian & Bolsover...things appear to go wrong about 1838/9 when Hinde leaves the partnership, followed soon after by Henry Bolsover...Marrian keeps it on, but goes bankrupt in 1843 and leaves the business, allegedly to take up one of 'the Sheffield trades'...actually a pub, by 1847/8 he's up and brewing again, trading as The Royds Brewery, Attercliffe Road. He is still showing as Royds Brewery in 1856, but by 1857 is trading as Thos. Marrian, Burton Weir Bry.
Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for clearing this up, I have been trying to work out what happened, found newspaper announcemnets of partnership dissolved 1840 and bankrupcy June 1843. It seems he went on to buy land in Thurcroft.

Thurcroft Colliery The land on which the village would one day stand was bought in the 1800s (along with the Hall) by a Sheffield brewer (Thomas Marrian), whose son, Thomas Marrian Jr, leased the coal mining rights to Rother Vale Collieries

Attachments

• 1840 Partnership dissolved.jpg
    1840 Partnership dissolved.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 1843 bankrupt.jpg
    1843 bankrupt.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for clearing this up, I have been trying to work out what happened, found newspaper announcemnets of partnership dissolved 1840 and bankrupcy June 1843. It seems he went on to buy land in Thurcroft.

Thurcroft Colliery The land on which the village would one day stand was bought in the 1800s (along with the Hall) by a Sheffield brewer (Thomas Marrian), whose son, Thomas Marrian Jr, leased the coal mining rights to Rother Vale Collieries

Hi Reevsie....just to correct myself, Bolsover left the partnership first, followed by Hinde.
I think Bolsover and Marrian may have bought into Hinde's business around 1835/6...in 1835 the Spring St Brewery is described as Hinde's XX Brewery.
It doesn't look as though Thomas Marrian's direct line continued beyond his two sons, one appears to be childless, the other has a son who dies at the age of 5...there are though a few daughters to follow if you wish to take it that far.
Going back to the Sea Horse, I found this little gem from 1824(attached)132395

1833...(not 1837 as I tried to scrawl on it!!)...it looks as though he is buying or up rating his brewery equipment.

1837 again

Back