• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ashted Brewery, Heneage Street and Sea Horse Inn, Buck Street

colin smith

proper brummie kid
Can anyone give me a clue as to where Buck Street was?

National Library of Scotland have all the Ordenance Survey maps but I have no idea where it was as I'm not a Brummie!

Aston some where? Is there something that I can search for that would have been there in 1851 for reference?

Thanks
Can anyone give me a clue as to where Buck Street was?

National Library of Scotland have all the Ordenance Survey maps but I have no idea where it was as I'm not a Brummie!

Aston some where? Is there something that I can search for that would have been there in 1851 for reference?

Thanks

Hello Reevesie
Buck Street ran parallel with Coleshill Street / AB Row and Curzon Street.The end furthest of Buck Street, from from the City Centre some how connected to Belmont Row - a bit of which still exists [there is a derelict ex Coop cycle works there which is currently awaiting restoration under THE BIG CITY Plan. The pub was on the south side of Buck Street and probably was not in Aston at all as AB Row was the border between Aston and Birmingham which were under different councils in the 1800's .

The site where the Sea Horse stood was about where the current Millennium Point /School of Music Building now stand
and was on the fringe of the Italian Quarter-not far from Curzon Street Station

The remains of Heanage Street still runs parallel to Great Lister Street
Colin Smith
[Brummie Babbie]

colin smith

proper brummie kid
I don't have access to "The old Taverns of Birmingham" is it available online?

Thanks Helen
Hello Again Reevesie
I must admit I had taken my eye off the ball regarding the Ashted Brewery/Sea Horse activity on the Birmingham History Forum

There is much that I have now found out from your comments.

I too have an original invite to one of the Famous Baron's of Beef still in the envelope addressed to Mr Marrian .
I hope to dig out some of the items I have got and post them including a photo of William Marrian [my great grandfather]
It could be it is not the same William but non the less related. This William was the son of the Ashted Brewery owner and nephew to the Sea Horse owner.He had a distinctly big nose as did my Grandmother and Father and me !!!!!
I have a bound Marrian Family Tree book which was produce by a Marrian family member in the late 1950's.
The cover is hard bound and the inner pages had been produced on a spirit duplicator.
When I have a minute I will have a poke around.

"The Old Taverns of Birmingham" book used to be available at the Birmingham Central Reference Library and could be viewed. When the Library was at the side of the Town Hall many years ago [1970's] it was possible to get copies which I did.
Colin Smith
Brummie Babbie

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
As "The Old Taverns of Birmingham" , even in 1970, was out of copyright, there is no restriction on copying it.