• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ashley Street November 1940

hello rod and welcome to the forum...i can well imagine how relieved your dad was to find that his mom was safe and well..look forward to reading future posts from you

lyn

I endorse that, Rod! Anything further you can tell us about Ashley Street, before or after its virtual destruction, will be very welcome.

Chris

My uncle John Franklin was the PC on duty there on the night of the bombing and was rewarded with a Queens Commendation after the relief efforts, a group of men came out from the pub to put in a co-ordinated effort to help, sadly a generation has passed, as he did over 50 years ago and there is no-one left to ask.

I can not work out how to put this post on here other than as a reply so sorry if this is wrong:
I was born in Birmingham on 28 November 1932. We lived at Back of 60 Ashley St. We moved to no. 60 in the Spring of 1939. I remember the day war was declared and I remember the day we were bombed out in November 1940. Luckily we were visiting our Grandmother. We missed the last bus from Acocks Green otherwise we’d have been in the house. So that was fate!
I have so many happy memories living in Ashley St. I has to go to Starkey’s Bakery to get a pennies worth of cake crumbs, when Inwas 5 and a half years old. I used to pick all the chocolate bits out on the way home. We were near the Broadway cinema and the church on the corner. I think it was called St Luke’s. our house looked on to the side of the church. We were very near the top of Ashley St, near the Bristol end. I can still hear the trams going along to the Lickey Hills.
We had a big stone sink in the brew house and in the summer my Mother used to bath the kids in the yard. They were happy days. I’m 87 now but luckily can still remember everything of our life in Ashley St.

That’s fine, Suelyn, and thanks for your memories. Welcome to the Forum as well!

Chris

I can not work out how to put this post on here other than as a reply so sorry if this is wrong:
I was born in Birmingham on 28 November 1932. We lived at Back of 60 Ashley St. We moved to no. 60 in the Spring of 1939. I remember the day war was declared and I remember the day we were bombed out in November 1940. Luckily we were visiting our Grandmother. We missed the last bus from Acocks Green otherwise we’d have been in the house. So that was fate!
I have so many happy memories living in Ashley St. I has to go to Starkey’s Bakery to get a pennies worth of cake crumbs, when Inwas 5 and a half years old. I used to pick all the chocolate bits out on the way home. We were near the Broadway cinema and the church on the corner. I think it was called St Luke’s. our house looked on to the side of the church. We were very near the top of Ashley St, near the Bristol end. I can still hear the trams going along to the Lickey Hills.
We had a big stone sink in the brew house and in the summer my Mother used to bath the kids in the yard. They were happy days. I’m 87 now but luckily can still remember everything of our life in Ashley St.

Hi, I’m new to this Forum so just finding my way around. Currently exploring my Family tree and have discovered my dad lived at 42 Victoria Grove, Ashley Street (residence registered 1939). I certainly recall my dad telling me his ear drum was ruptured due to a nearby bomb exploding during WWll.. I just hadn’t realised the devastation the bombings had caused until now... dad never went into detail about the devastation...or how lucky he was and his family at the time to survive. Does anyone have any photos of the November 1940 bombings? Many thanks Sarah. My dad was called Eric Power (would have been 8 years old at time). His dad was called James (Jim) and his mum Evelyn.

A bit earlier, but just discovered my Great Granddad worked as a cabinet maker at Badams & Ellison in 1921 with the address as 62 Ashley Street. Anyone remember this business?

Back