• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ashforth

S

sh

I've been researching my maternal, Ashforth, side of the family for about two years now.

I feel I've been successful, but I'm determined to go back to around 1730 which is seemingly impossible.

Apparantly, William Ashforth, broker, was living in Edgbaston (wife, Keturah) when he died. The one record I could find of him shows that he was NOT born in the County of Edgbaston (1841).

His son, Charles (b. 1818/C041797), is my g-g grandfather. Charles' son, Robert Thomas (b. 1840) was my g-grandfather; and his son, Thomas Williams , was my maternal grandfather.

Is there some way to determine the County that William was from? I feel that if I could find William's birth County, then I might be able to reach my target tie-in with 1730.

Any possibility.

William's marriage is M011682; this is one of two certificates I want to obtain through GRO.

Thanks, sh

According to the IGI William Ashforth married Keturah Egginton at Aston Juxta on 14th Dec 1812.

:angel: On another thread you said the family had some connection with Sheffield:
I have learned that in fact his parents did come from Sheffield; I'm awaiting more information from a certificate of marriage.
QUOTE]
So could be a good idea to look at that county.:cool:

Ashforth marriage in Aston Juxta

Thanks.

this marriage took place in Aston Juxta Birmingham, Warwick, England; so what do I put in the County area?

(I think it's "county" that they want in addition to volume and page number - I'll have to go look again - I do wish I had a better knowledge on these things.)

I'm glad you found, "Ashforth", as one records shows, "Ashford" which is totally incorrect. I know there are spelling errors everywhere and many of the Ashforths did change their names to Ashford and Ashworth, etc.

Thanks very much, sh

Last edited by a moderator:
Pomgolian - Ashforth marriage

:angel: On another thread you said the family had some connection with Sheffield:
I have learned that in fact his parents did come from Sheffield; I'm awaiting more information from a certificate of marriage.
QUOTE]
So could be a good idea to look at that county.:cool:

Pomgolian -

I have tried for about 1.5 years to find this information in various sites on the internet. There are several William Ashforths born around the same time - and I don't know when he was born, actually - so I don't know to which family my William Ashforth came.

Probably, they are all Ashforth relatives of mine. There's really a bunch of Ashforths from Sheffield/Yorkshire; I believe that's where our family of Ashforths began.

I was going to send for a Certificate of marriage, but if you're willing to tell me the information I'm seeking, then I'd love you to tell me.

I'm looking for the county and the parent's first names. I understand that's on the marriage certificates. Once I learn the father's and mother's first names, then I hope I can trace that information.

Is there someway that we can tie in the family via a reference number? Seems that would be great, but I'm looking to go back to around 1730, so I guess that's asking much too much.

Please do let me know; if I must send for the record, I will do that.

Thanks and Blessings, sh

sh, The more you do the more you learn and it makes your research yours! Don't forget we all had to learn and I for one made some tremendous mistakes and still do. Never take anything as gospel sometimes they lied........oh horror! I can't belive granny lied!
If you are stuck ask, there are some brilliant people on this site who have a wealth of knowledge they are willing to share.

Aston was and is in the county of Warwickshire, no one on here will judge you we are all friends and human.........well with exception of Frantic and Kandor.......just joking lads!

:angel: Sh, You say your looking for Williams parents first names, however Albert has already given you that info' on:
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6027&highlight=Ashforth

William Ashforth baptised 31st December 1794 age 1 Aston Juxta
parents Thomas and Ann
other children of Thomas and Ann baptised Aston Juxta.... (and they are listed)
Also there were no Marriage certificates, or Birth Certificates before 1837 you just have to rely on Parish records or if your lucky a family bible, or birthday book.

People on this forum have found a lot of information for you on other 'Threads' so asking the same questions over again will only get you the same answers and information again.

Good Luck I hope you find what you are looking for:cool:
I'm sorry there is only so much out there and I think you will just have to work on what you've been given so far.

Pomgolian - Ashforth

WOW! Thanks so much for the info.

Since I responded to that notification, I must have seen it before, but I truly do not remember. I find myself doing much to much these days and now I know I have to slow down.

One thing I don't see, however, and that is the County that Wm was born in. That was the basic question I had.

On the 1841 Census, Wm. is listed with Keturah and Charles and Sarah and Robert (my g-grandfather), age 5 months.

This same census states that Wm. is NOT from the same county, but apparently, he was age 1 when he was baptized in Aston juxta. How can that be? That's one of the reasons I questioned the info. Please do not be offended.

btw, I have visited other forums looking for Ashforth information and returned to this one because Rod is so thorough and gives so much to this forum. I returned to this forum hoping I could get the COUNTY in which Wm.was born. He was baptized in Aston, Juxta at age 1 according to the information, but the 1841 says he was not of that county.

Is there an age or birth date for Thomas that I could use to go back to IGI or Family Search to try and match up Thomas and Wm and a county?

I'm also a member of Ancestry.Co.UK, but they just simply don't go back that far in dates - as we all know.

I do thank you for your assistance. Please be patient with me as I try to double check certain data like Counties vs data info. To me, that signals a possible error. I want to be absolutley certain of geneologica data that I pass on to my family.

I've seen a lot of mistakes on family trees, for instance; my family of Ashforth, where people simply do not belong. I know it because I'm quite certain of my geneological data through Wm. and Keturah.

Again, it's the COUNTY question that I have.

Apologies to any and all who doubt my sincerety.

Thanks, and Blessings, sh

Gospel

Thanks, Moma P -

I do thank you for your kind message. Indeed, there are intelligent folks on this site, and generous with their knowledge.

I do ask the same questions for validity, and if you read within this forum you'll find that almost everyone has been great with sharing what they do know.

There are a lot of errors on the Census and other sites of valued information; transcription is the culprit. It makes for a lot of confusion in my head as I'm from the USA and not UK. I'm learning.

Blessings, sh

May, 2008
Katurah and William "Ashford" (Ashforth is true last name) have M011682 as their marriage number; married 14 Dec 1812 in Aston Juxta Birmingham, Warwick, England. They must have some relatives living in the area, but I know their children are other than as listed herein. How does one get a marriage certificate from that early date? sh

Certificates of any kind either Birth, Marriage or Death were issued from September 1837 only. Before that date you can search only Parish Registers, there is no certificate issued, as Pom explained on an earlier post.

Back