• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Artists Who Painted Birmingham Landscapes

edcartemo, as I said in a previous post he was a friend and colleague of mine during my 19 years in the BWS, George was also an elected member of other societies and a professional artist. He gave me one of is calendars many years ago, I have searched my studio top to bottom and cannot find it, I could have posted a few of them, one you would have particularly liked was 2 women chatting over the garden fence with Saltly gas works in the background circa 1960. If it turns up I will post some Eric

Yes John it is
I remember a place just like this opposite the Mint on Ickneild Street near the corner to Hingeston Street. A double fronted premises rammed from floor to ceiling with every conceivable item like tin baths, clothing, roller skates and many a bike like John's.

I love this 1827 Wm Radclyffe engraving of David Cox's drawing of the market. When looked at in close-up there's a wealth of detail; the poultry for sale hanging by their legs, the dog eyeing up the live ducks and geese, the hats of the various vendors (some, I think, wearing a specific hat for their occupation, like the baker). Viv.

View attachment 107884

Another by Radclyffe, The Village of Aston.

AB4FA5FF-157A-41C0-8DA4-98FF492C1C47.jpeg

Richarddye, Yes what wonderful subjects they had in old Birmingham, now we have glass, concrete and steel, hardly paintable subjects. I love painting old Birmingham but now I have to rely on old black and white pics, although there are still one or two paintable subjects, Saint Chads, Saint Phillips a few old pubs, certain section of the canals all of which I have painted numerous times over the last 50 years. Eric

My grandparents, and Parents were very lucky really, so little changed in their lifetimes.For me, though every thing I came to love, and appreciate, everything that gave me, a connection to my past, has all but gone, and in less than a generation. To top that everything I was taught, the way to speak, to think, has been changed, so much I don't know which way to think or act. The people I was brought up to respect, and organisations to look to in time of uncertainty, have all either been reviled, or changed so much, I am not sure any more. Paul

My grandparents, and Parents were very lucky really, so little changed in their lifetimes.For me, though every thing I came to love, and appreciate, everything that gave me, a connection to my past, has all but gone, and in less than a generation. To top that everything I was taught, the way to speak, to think, has been changed, so much I don't know which way to think or act. The people I was brought up to respect, and organisations to look to in time of uncertainty, have all either been reviled, or changed so much, I am not sure any more. Paul
Absolutely Paul, it seems actually much less than a lifetime! The “hard things” like buildings and places yes but people how to speak and think seems to me to have been turned upside down in 10 or 15 years and seems not to be letting up!

Have always found comfort in Folk Art either recent or from 200 years ago. Art made by normal people trying to make sense of the world about them, sometimes under the most extraordinary circumstances. Last month I came across this published book about a unique Birmingham Artist Frank Sidney Smith. Lives just a couple of miles from me but I can find no reference to him on this site... Lovely inspiring artist for the worrying and uncertain times we live in.6B3C8F6F-EF45-4E54-8817-4301B4A10ACE.jpeg

I agree Paul, some of the early 20th C art about Birmingham is extremely inspiring.love the cover of the book, though both my early school and later school are now both gone. Paul

Are Frank Sidney Smith and 'Smudge' Smith one and the same person/artist ? the styles are identical, both naïve artists, paint every brick and tile. I am not belittling him/them L S Lowry was the same and he was a great artist someone I admire very much. Eric

Back