• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Artists Who Painted Birmingham Landscapes

I should have mentioned that George Busby was a professional artist, not an amateur. Eric
A few George Busby paintings occasionally pop up on ebay. This is my current favourite with additional Artist's info to the reverse. Very atmospheric and takes me back to winter nights in the markets.. Is this actually a Birmingham Scene with TESCO supermarket in the background?

Attachments

• 988.jpg
    988.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 990.jpg
    990.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 991.jpg
    991.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 992.jpg
    992.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 36
What a joy to see these paintings, made my Christmas that's for sure. thanks to all I did this winter drawing painting, on a bike ride in Warwickshire, when I was about 14 going to "Moseley school of art" nothing near as grand as those others. I loved to ride my bike along the lanes I always carried a scratch pad in my saddle bag to stop and draw and paint what I saw. Happy days

Fascinating...I have these in my files....and I just about remember discussing this boozer with Phil yonks ago....can't remember which Fred...but some more grist to the mill anyroadup...?

View attachment 101328View attachment 101329View attachment 101330
In his 1888 Will, Edwin Withers refers to a share he has in the 'Egyptian Hall', Snow Hill. Plus some properties in Snow Hill numbers 14 & 15.
Any ideas if your Billiard room and pub is also this reference? Adjacent to this reference? Any images?

I love the paintings of William Such, a wonderful draughtsman with a great feeling for composition. He was noted for his Winter Landscapes, a favourite subject of mine so I'm probably biased. What with Samuel Lines, David Cox, Arthur Lockwood, James Priddy etc... Birmingham was not short of good Artists portraying Birmingham scenes Eric
Brilliant, glad to discover this thread. William Such is in Edwin Withers 1888 Will, but merely as a name. Where will I find more of him, please?

Ok everybody, glad to find this thread, great discussions, love it.
Now, in this Covid 19 period how to locate Mr Edward Weston Withers 1763-1819, Edgbaston. His son Edwin is the only reference to him as 'artist' in 1830. So far no joy in finding any reference to him apart from that.
You mention the BWS from time time. Are they open or connectable?
All hints and clues gladly welcome

But wait ... there's more: BOLT.
In his Will Edwin had listed this one
The Gleaners, by Bolt. ‘Bolt’ as a painter, is not found in any on-line reference that I can find. The only painting titled ‘The Gleaners’ found on-line is by Jean-Francoise Millet, 1857.
Is there a Birmingham painter named BOLT so fr as you know?
Thanks again.

Have discovered these candidates at the website of Invaluable.com: Cornelis Jan Bolt; Johann Friedrich Bolt, copper plate engraver; Niels Peter Bolt; Ronald William Bolt. There is also listed there Frederick Morgan, ROI (British, 1847-1927) "Gleaners". So not much clearer as yet.

Pure conjecture...Weston Withers...daughter Elizabeth marries S Vallant...author of Discount Simplified?... accountant, gets about a bit, mentioned in connection with Sir Robert Sale who, with his trouble and strife, had their portraits painted by a Brummie...RT Bott...who painted “Leading in the Winner, Birmingham”....some tipsters have gone under the name “the Gleaner”...

Pure conjecture...Weston Withers...daughter Elizabeth marries S Vallant...author of Discount Simplified?... accountant, gets about a bit, mentioned in connection with Sir Robert Sale who, with his trouble and strife, had their portraits painted by a Brummie...RT Bott...who painted “Leading in the Winner, Birmingham”....some tipsters have gone under the name “the Gleaner”...
Sounds plausible, rather like the idea of Gleaner as a winner. Took a squizz at the image via Christie' s site, and why not?
Yes, I see the book on Google books. Wonderful. Great find Pedrocut. Most grateful.

Sounds plausible, rather like the idea of Gleaner as a winner. Took a squizz at the image via Christie' s site, and why not?
Yes, I see the book on Google books. Wonderful. Great find Pedrocut. Most grateful.
Just to clarify. Is the image painted by sir Robert Sale, of Mr and Mrs Vallant? If so where did you spot it and may i download it?
Cheers

Just to clarify. Is the image painted by sir Robert Sale, of Mr and Mrs Vallant? If so where did you spot it and may i download it?
Cheers

The portrait of Sir Robert Sale and his wife was painted by RT Bott, and “Leading the Winner, Birmingham“ can be seen on the link. Is it a winner at Bromford, and an early scene from the racecourse?

RT is mentioned several times as a native of Birmingham.

Back