• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Artists Who Painted Birmingham Landscapes

Possibly this man?

I wrote to this Tom Bower but despite being in Birmingham in the 80's it is not his painting which is why I restarted my search via this thread

The only information I’ve been able to find is this description which accompanied an auction of the painting: Tom Bower, 20th Centuary British School. Not much I’m afraid. Viv

C7253C3B-2F8D-4005-A314-0102723EE470.jpeg

It is delightful. I believe it to be a copy of an earlier photo or print (possibly on BHF). The date appears to be 57 (1957?) as I don't think it was done in 1857. Anyway we have a few artists here so maybe they will make comment.

It might be George Cecil Busby who lived in the West Midlands.

It was my late friend and colleague the late George Busby from Solihull, we were both members of the BWS, George was also a member of the RBSA, sadly he died some years ago of cancer at about 70 years old, his paintings were in great demand, he also illustrated calendars and books, particularly railway books, have attached an example of a Welshpool scene. I have a number of his prints. Ericimg20191017_10341125.jpg

Yep, I thought it might be George Busby, but can't find a definite copy of this in his stuff on the internet...hopefully something will turn up....? Many thanks though RR......

It was my late friend and colleague the late George Busby from Solihull, we were both members of the BWS, George was also a member of the RBSA, sadly he died some years ago of cancer at about 70 years old, his paintings were in great demand, he also illustrated calendars and books, particularly railway books, have attached an example of a Welshpool scene. I have a number of his prints. EricView attachment 138279

Eric, my hero, thanks so much......! He was nearly as good as you my friend! So sad we have lost such a talent....I posted it on a FB blog and got so many likes it was unreal, and lots of requests for copies, framed or otherwise.....may I put some of yours up for admiration?

Dennis with pleasure but George was a vastly superior painter than I. He was an elected member of other societies including the Society of Railway Artists. He taught me a lot about watercolour techniques a most difficult medium to master (I used to be an Oil painter). He was certainly the best watercolourist in the BWS. One of my paintings once was taken for a George Busby at an exhibition, that made my day. Eric

Last edited:
Dennis with pleasure but George was a vastly better painter than I. He was an elected member of other societies including the Society of Railway Painters. He taught me a lot about watercolour techniques a most difficult medium to master (I used to be an Oil painter). He was certainly the best watercolourist in the BWS. One of my paintings once was taken for a George Busby at an exhibition, that made my day. Eric
[/QUOTE

Thanks Eric. There has been a lot of admiration for your painting of Jamaica Row in the rain. Can folk buy prints and if so where? I promised I’d ask!

Dennis, there was a print run on that painting (I presume you mean 'Wet Sunday in the Bull Ring') but that was over 20 years ago, certainly none available now, but I am quite happy for any body to download it for the copyright still remains with me, the original framed painting was bought by an American from Denver. Eric

Dennis, there was a print run on that painting (I presume you mean 'Wet Sunday in the Bull Ring') but that was over 20 years ago, certainly none available now, but I am quite happy for any body to download it for the copyright still remains with me, the original framed painting was bought by an American from Denver. Eric

Many thanks Eric......I will pass it on....and may I say how much I love this epic scene! As a John Atkinson Grimshaw fan, I love those wet pavements and murky skies! Cheers

Can I ask who in Denver got that? Just curious maybe I know them

oldbrit, looking at my sales book all I have written is ' Littleton Denver Colorado' I do not know if Littleton is his name or a place name , info provided by RBSA gallery where painting was sold in 1998. Eric

Last edited:
oldbrit, looking at my sales book all I have written is ' Littleton Denver Colorado' I do not know if Littleton is his name or a place name , info provided by RBSA gallery where painting was sold in 1998. Eric
Littleton is a city south of Denver Colorado about 5 miles from me Thanks, Can you post photo on the Painting I would love to see it? Cheers John

Back