• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Artists Who Painted Birmingham Landscapes

No problem.

It is next to the Old Joint Stock.

I've never taken a pic of this building before (although I've got some Temple Row West shots in the past).

well im ashamed to say ell that probably up until 10 years ago i never really looked up at our wonderful city centre buildings...mind you i am making up for it now..

thanks again..

There is still a lot of Victorian buildings around that area, assume you have walked around them many times by now!

You might notice some with modern extensions or attics added!

I see that the house of Samuel Lines on Temple Row West now has a blue plaque. There's also a memorial immediately opposite in St.Philip's churchyard to Samuel and his son, William Rostill, also an artist. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1418113485.450448.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1418113514.672272.jpg

A close up of the blue plaque courtesy of Wikipedia. Plaque was placed in Dec 2013. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1418113846.890099.jpg

Made the mistake of clicking onto this thread earlier and have now spent almost the whole morning on it! Absolutely fascinating, loved every minute of it, thanks to all the contributors -- now I've got to get some housework done before my Missus gets back! Best forum on the web.

A very seasonal view of Heathfield Hall by William Thomas Such, c1870. Don't know very much about this artist but he certainly painted many winter landscapes. Maybe his inspiration for this painting was the result of a visit to Heathfield Hall. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1420040562.062443.jpg

I love the paintings of William Such, a wonderful draughtsman with a great feeling for composition. He was noted for his Winter Landscapes, a favourite subject of mine so I'm probably biased. What with Samuel Lines, David Cox, Arthur Lockwood, James Priddy etc... Birmingham was not short of good Artists portraying Birmingham scenes Eric

Just enjoyed looking at your paintings, Eric, you are great!!! Proud to have one of your paintings Rose Villa Tavern.
Happy New Year to you.

Thanks for the information about Wm Such Eric. I too like the winter scenes he painted. I like the way he's portrayed the winter light in the Heathfield Hall painting. He's even captured the frozen river. Very skilled. Viv.

Oooo, I am enjoying this thread!
I am lucky enough to have inherited four Paul Braddons from my grandfather. I will try and link to them here:

1 South side of Old Square
https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t127/loiseau85/South side of Old Square_zpsgozbampt.jpg

2 Mr Winkle's house, Easy Row
https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t127/loiseau85/MrWinkles house Easy Row_zpsn1hczeuq.jpg

3 Congreve St and corner of Edmond St. The Art Gallery and Council House now occupy most of the site
https://i159.photobucket.com/albums...ve St amp corner of Edmund St_zpsaz28s71l.jpg

4 Paradise Street, between Pinfold St and Hill St, the site of the Post Office
https://i159.photobucket.com/albums...etween Pinfold St and Hill St_zpsyommna6v.jpg

The comments were written on them long ago, so may no longer be correct.

I apologise for the quality of the images; I took them on a smartphone, and had to stand off centre to minimise reflections.
I could do better quality in daylight if anyone is particularly interested in the finer detail.

Angela

The challenge presented here is to place this James Billingsley 1906 painting in the modern Great Charles Street. It's a view of the Beehive and the White Horse Hotel. Any ideas? Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
In the James Billingsley painting on the far right looks like the old Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital. So I would place the modern view at around Church Street or Newhall Street.
I worked at Devonshire House not far from there for a while.

The title seems a little disingenuous. The White Horse Commercial hotel was on the corner of Gt Charles St and Congreve St, but the c1889 map below (white horse in Red)shows that the artist must have been looking up Congreve St towards Edmund St. The large building behind it is on the corner with Edmund St. In the c1889 map it is marked Liberal Club, but by 1906 it had been either rebuilt or re-occupied, and was then Norwich Union chambers, a photo of which is also below for confirmation

MAP_C_1889_SHOWING_WHITE_HORSE_COMMERCIAL_HOTEL2C_JN_CONGREVE_AND_GT_CHARLES_ST.jpg

NORWICH_UNION_CHAMBERS2C_CONGREVE_ST.jpg

The White Horse Hotel some time before it was demolished, another crime committed by Birmingham City Planning.

Attachments

• City Congreve St The White Horse.JPG
    City Congreve St The White Horse.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 29
  • City Congreve St  White Horse Hotel.jpg
    City Congreve St White Horse Hotel.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 30
How interesting. Mike - the artist is definitely looking towards the Town Hall - you can just make out ia little of its roof beyond the Liberal Club. Phil's photo shows the White Horse as a substantial and thriving pub/hotel, whilst Dennis's photo shows it as an Egyptian Hall (also advertising 'Billiards'). Is this the start of it's downfall? Viv.

Back