• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Artists Who Painted Birmingham Landscapes

daid rathgen

master brummie
I love the paintings of William Such, a wonderful draughtsman with a great feeling for composition. He was noted for his Winter Landscapes, a favourite subject of mine so I'm probably biased. What with Samuel Lines, David Cox, Arthur Lockwood, James Priddy etc... Birmingham was not short of good Artists portraying Birmingham scenes Eric
Brilliant, glad to discover this thread. William Such is in Edwin Withers 1888 Will, but merely as a name. Where will I find more of him, please?

daid rathgen

master brummie
Ok everybody, glad to find this thread, great discussions, love it.
Now, in this Covid 19 period how to locate Mr Edward Weston Withers 1763-1819, Edgbaston. His son Edwin is the only reference to him as 'artist' in 1830. So far no joy in finding any reference to him apart from that.
You mention the BWS from time time. Are they open or connectable?
All hints and clues gladly welcome

daid rathgen

master brummie
But wait ... there's more: BOLT.
In his Will Edwin had listed this one
The Gleaners, by Bolt. ‘Bolt’ as a painter, is not found in any on-line reference that I can find. The only painting titled ‘The Gleaners’ found on-line is by Jean-Francoise Millet, 1857.
Is there a Birmingham painter named BOLT so fr as you know?
Thanks again.

daid rathgen

master brummie
Have discovered these candidates at the website of Invaluable.com: Cornelis Jan Bolt; Johann Friedrich Bolt, copper plate engraver; Niels Peter Bolt; Ronald William Bolt. There is also listed there Frederick Morgan, ROI (British, 1847-1927) "Gleaners". So not much clearer as yet.

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
Pure conjecture...Weston Withers...daughter Elizabeth marries S Vallant...author of Discount Simplified?... accountant, gets about a bit, mentioned in connection with Sir Robert Sale who, with his trouble and strife, had their portraits painted by a Brummie...RT Bott...who painted “Leading in the Winner, Birmingham”....some tipsters have gone under the name “the Gleaner”...

daid rathgen

master brummie
Pure conjecture...Weston Withers...daughter Elizabeth marries S Vallant...author of Discount Simplified?... accountant, gets about a bit, mentioned in connection with Sir Robert Sale who, with his trouble and strife, had their portraits painted by a Brummie...RT Bott...who painted “Leading in the Winner, Birmingham”....some tipsters have gone under the name “the Gleaner”...
Sounds plausible, rather like the idea of Gleaner as a winner. Took a squizz at the image via Christie' s site, and why not?
Yes, I see the book on Google books. Wonderful. Great find Pedrocut. Most grateful.

daid rathgen

master brummie
Sounds plausible, rather like the idea of Gleaner as a winner. Took a squizz at the image via Christie' s site, and why not?
Yes, I see the book on Google books. Wonderful. Great find Pedrocut. Most grateful.
Just to clarify. Is the image painted by sir Robert Sale, of Mr and Mrs Vallant? If so where did you spot it and may i download it?
Cheers

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
Just to clarify. Is the image painted by sir Robert Sale, of Mr and Mrs Vallant? If so where did you spot it and may i download it?
Cheers
The portrait of Sir Robert Sale and his wife was painted by RT Bott, and “Leading the Winner, Birmingham“ can be seen on the link. Is it a winner at Bromford, and an early scene from the racecourse?

RT is mentioned several times as a native of Birmingham.

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
Egg on face. Birmingham racecourse came a long time after the painting. It is a painting of the horse called Birmingham that won the Leger in 1830.

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
It is possible that the picture depicts the 1830 St. Leger. Interesting that there is a coloured face among the large hats, a few years before slavery was abolished.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to "A catalogue of Birmingham & West Midland painters of the 19th century" R.T.Bott was painting 1830-62. He lived in Birmingham & London. He exhibited 3 works at royal Acadamy and 3 at the British Institution. in 1847-62.He showed 24 painting at the Birmingham Society of Arts from 1830-45, they being portraits, figure studies, still lifes and animal studies.