• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Artists Who Painted Birmingham Landscapes

Vivienne

I don't think Dennis's photo is of The White Horse, but of the site where it was built. In this 1912 photo taken from more or less the same position is Shows the hotel when it had been built.

Attachments

• City Congreve St 1912.JPG
    City Congreve St 1912.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 30
Thanks Phil Was struggling with this one. Thought the Hotel was much older. So the empty corner plot, plus where the Egyptian/Billiards Hall stands in Denis's photo made up the later White Horse Hitel? The W H was huge. Viv.

Last edited:
Fascinating...I have these in my files....and I just about remember discussing this boozer with Phil yonks ago....can't remember which Fred...but some more grist to the mill anyroadup...?

White Horse Congreve Street Narrative 1.jpgWhite Horse Congreve St 2 narrative.jpgWhite Horse Congreve Street Crop 2.jpg

Last edited:
One of my favourite modern artists to put Birmingham on canvas is Mike Jeffries though I have to say that the scenes of Birmingham are incidental to the vehicles he paints. Although born in Plymouth he has lived in Birmingham since his family moved here when he was six years old just after the war.

Attachments

• Mike Jeffries paradise St..JPG
    Mike Jeffries paradise St..JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Mike Jefferies Paradise St c1940.JPG
    Mike Jefferies Paradise St c1940.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Mike Jeffries fruit market .JPG
    Mike Jeffries fruit market .JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 45
I like Jeffries paintings, just how I remember Birmingham when I was young. The buildings might, as Phil says, be incidental to the vehicles, but he went to the trouble of naming the buildings such as the S & U building in the third painting. So I expect they were accurate representations of the streets. Viv.

I was at Compton Verney gallery, Warwickshire, last Wednesday and noticed that there was a small exhibition of the drawings of Albert H Barnett, who drew various images of Birmingham. A description about him is attached, together with one of his drawings. Dave.

IMG_20150930_135807476 (2).jpg IMG_20150930_135851504 (2).jpg

Not seen this Paul Braddon painting before. It's of the Barrel pub on Snow Hill. Not sure exactly where this was on Snow Hill. Viv

image.jpg

Hi Vivienne

The Barrel was on the corner of Snow Hill & Bath Street, I think the Crown public house was later built on the site and that was later demolished for the Ringway.

Attachments

• City Barrell Inn Snow Hill - Bath St 1870 (2).JPG
    City Barrell Inn Snow Hill - Bath St 1870 (2).JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 32
thanks viv and phil...this is a new pub to me....the only barrel i knew of was the one on the corner of summer lane and tower st which has recently re opened

lyn

Thanks Lyn. I expect the Summer Lane 'Barrel' is the one that interests Robb (re 'summer lane' thread) rather than the Snow Hill one then. Viv.

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn. I expect the Summer Lane 'Barrel' is the one that interests Robb (re 'summer lane' thread) rather than the Snow Hill one then. Viv.

it could be viv....if so there are a few old photos of it on the forum...if memory serves me right i think the summer lane barrel was once known as the boy in the barrel

lyn

Here is a painting of one of the Barrels I painted some time ago, I had not heard of the other Barrel either, so many pubs in Birmingham its impossible to know them all, although a great deal no longer stand. EricThe Barrel Summer Lane.JPG

Lovely Eric. Unusual pub with that long sweeping roof. Quite a size too.

Interesting Lyn - 'Boy in the Barrel' ? Must be a story behind that. Viv.

Last edited:
Lovely Eric. Unusual pub with that long sweeping roof. Quite a size too.

Interesting Lyn - 'Boy in the Barrel' ? Must be a story behind that. Viv.

always loved that painting eric...

viv thinking again it could have been the lad in the barrel...i was told about this years ago by someone...will try and find out more as it could just have been known as that by the locals or then again it could have been its proper name..

lyn

This 1789 painting by W.Allen is called "A Birmingham Prize Fight". But where is it supposed to be? Viv.
image.jpeg

Is this W.Allen a known artist because I can find only Sir William Allan born 1782 of about this period. His first known painting was in 1803

Isaac_Perrins___Ev_dispatch_19_6_1915.jpg
Apparently Isaac Perrins was known as the "Birmingham Goliath", being about 6ft 2 inch tall. the evening dispatch seems clear that the fight was at Banbury. A brief description of Isaac is below from Ev. Dispatch in 1915

Back