• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Arthur Street, Small Heath

Thank you for posting those great photos mhemery and thank you beamish for your repost which I believe went with posts #2, 3 and 6.

My Gt Gt grandparents, Albert and Mary Taylor lived at 4 Bk 48 Arthur Street in 1881 with their sons, Albert, Frank Frederick (my Gt Grandfather), Arthur and Abel.

Here is a map from 1937 showing Bordesley Park Road and its junction with Arthur Street, with The Prince Arthur on the corner marked PH, which sort of links with mhemery's photo.

Arthur Street 1937 b.jpg

Astoness and Postie if you spot this, Im hoping you will both be able to repost your photos too :)

Beamish , What a smashing photo that is with the kids on top of the railway embankment.
i wonder if theyre all Brothers and Sisters ? and your photos mhemery are good too ,very enjojable
thank you both for posting them ...............ragga
:fat:

Many Many Thanks Stars and berniew for those wonderful photos :)
I believe the Coronation one replaces Astoness's missing photo at post #26..Just Posties to go now :)

Stars would your first photo be just passed Arthur Street looking towards Herbert Road with the Greenway Pub on the corner of the Coventry Road and Cattell Road
and would the 3rd be showing a War memorial on the wall next to what look like public toilets ???

kingston picture house cov rd.jpghello lindyloo this is a photo of the cinama on your map the kingston where i,d go every saturday morning to the matinee for a tanner, good memories

Hi mhemery, thanks for posting the cinema photo, I remember it well from frequent bus journeys from Sheldon into town to catch the 144 from the Bus Station out to Rubery to visit my Grandparents, with my Mom and Brother...the bus journey used to take forever !!!

coventry road looking towards arthur street.jpgthanks for your reply lindyloo heres one thats from the opposite direction of stars 1st photo with arthur st on the left and st andrews rd on the right

Hi lindyloo, hope you are well. Yes you are right, that is the Greenway pub on the corner with the
horse trough outside. Not to sure about the 3rd photo.

regards Stars

Hi all

just re-posting someones photo which i think was lost in the hack.
sorry if it has already been posted. It is one of Kingston Hill.

Kingston%20Hill%20Rec.jpg

regards Stars

Parliment Street pic originally posted by Bojalu on another forum

Attachments

• Parliment20St201967.jpg
    Parliment20St201967.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 131
Hi mhemery, Thank you so much for posting that fantastic photo, I have not seen that one before. When enlarged it shows wonderful details.
I am not well practised in dating photos, but thinking about a family wedding photo that I have, I'm guessing it was early 1900's, maybe 1900 to 1910 ??
I hope you don't mind but I have saved it for my family tree album.

Thanks also berniew, I have that photo in a book and never tire of looking at it.

Thanks Stars, I love the caption under the photo !!
And Thanks berniew for the Parliament Road one :) The lovely young lady in the photo I imagine is a relative of yours ??
I was just looking at a couple of maps for Arthur Street in different years and I see that Arthur Street started life as quite a long street and ran into Glovers Road, but was later "cut in two" and that the latter half was called Camelot Way, which is the part that runs into Glovers Road now.
Parliament Road I see, ran between Jenkins Street and Herbert Road and Herbert Road joined Arthur Street.
All these photos are brilliant because it gives me a great insight as to what the area was like that my Grandparents and Gt Grandparents grew up in :)

Hi lindyloo, hope you are well. Yes you are right, that is the Greenway pub on the corner with the
horse trough outside. Not to sure about the 3rd photo.

regards Stars

Thanks for the confirmation Stars.. Hopefully someone will know about the 3rd photo.
Im good thanks :) ... hope you and yours are keeping well too

BOLTON%20RD_   bolton road protest.jpg

Bolton Road housing protest "lady " second left Edwina Curry when she was on the Birmingham housing committee

hi all great photos berniew and stars and the film and maps were really interesting, i noticed on the large scale map berniew that there was no carrington rd which run from bordesley park rd to dixon rd does any one know when that was cut?

all the best michael

Hi berniew, Thank you so much for all the links, that first map is great !! I have seen and used the 1890 one before.
I watched the video..!! My partner lived in Bolton Road for a short time in the 60's

mhemery, I can only tell you that Carrington Road is on a map from 1904.

Hi all .

i was just looking info my grandparents early life , both now unfortunately no longer with us .
my grandad was posted to spark hill pit in Nov 1944 , (Bevin boy ) and meet my grandmother at at bustop .
she was working in Fardon factory , and lived in Arthur street , I doubt if anybody is still alive who would of know them .
Shame I never took the time out to speak with them about there early life , my grandfather was very unhappy To have been a Bevin Boy ,he had dreamt of the Royal Navy , so he didn’t talk that much about it .

there’s a huge empty space ( on google maps In spark hill. What became of the colliery ?
they moved to Canterbury after the war , Bernard and alma fairhall

Back