• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Arthur Leeson Webb

William was christened in norfolk and never noticed the widowed part when she married Webb the plot thickens.
Im sure I have hers and webbs marriage certificate will find out if it mentions widoen on there also. How did I miss this

For information... the Corsican belonged to the ALLAN LINE and was advertised as a steam turbine with long-distance wireless. It seems to have sailed from Liverpool at least once a month with the journey taking around ten days.

The first few journeys in 1912 were advertised as being to St. John in New Brunswick. However on the 15th April 1912 it was the first boat to go up the St. Lawrence that year and up to Quebec.

On one of the return journeys in August 1912 it hit an iceberg but managed to continue to Liverpool at half speed.

Just checked wedding cert it states emily as spinster william is the widower.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200203_105522_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200203_105522_com.android.chrome.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 5
I think there are 4 ladies called Jennie Corrigan on the 1921 census. Interestingly there is also one on Ancestry incoming passenger list who gives her UK address as Canada House London.
This Jennie Corrigan has me baffled really would like to find out who she was. I also came across that record on ancestry there isnt any record of her going back its all very stange.

Coventry Herald 24 June 1914 carries article on Father Hudson's Homes. Below is the section concerning Canada. It says that during 1912, 80 children were emigrated to Canada.

70512454-9555-4580-B94A-6A85FDF1E0EC.jpeg

Is it this one? interesting states hes a farmer like on his wedding cert. Fits the age bracket for being married as it states he is married plus age.
But why does he state 1919 as immigration year when it was 1912 he departed.

No, that Arthur Webb is in Alberta, the one I found was in Ontario - Walpole in Haldimand. I looked in Ontario only because that's where he married. Not sure of the distances between the places.

His age is 26 on the transcript but looks to be 20 on record. His year of immigration is 1914 though and he's listed as a labourer.

This Jennie Corrigan has me baffled really would like to find out who she was. I also came across that record on ancestry there isnt any record of her going back its all very stange.

Seems a difficult one, with too many possibilities. Arthur could have mis-remembered his mother's name, made a mistake, been told the wrong info or just made it up. If she is a real person in Canada is Corrigan her married name or her maiden name, the latter meaning searching for her in 1911, 1916 and 1921 would be a no go.

There's a death for a William Steeles of the right age registered Bham N, Jun qtr 1931. In 1911 he's in Birmingham.

The eldest son of William and Emily seems to have been adopted by John and Annie Gilbert, the other son dying young.

So it looks like Emily was admitted as a lunacy patient in March 1910, only 2 years after her marriage to William Steeles. It looks like Winson Green.

0982A45E-C5FE-494A-8DF8-9C53C04F2A43.jpeg

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Seems then that she would have had her second son whilst a patient. He was registered Dec qtr 1910.

Familysearch gives her name as Mabe Emma on the transcript but it is Rose Emma. She possibly arrives in Canada in Jun 1920, occupation domestic, destination Ottawa.

Last edited:
Have found a Rose Emma on England censuses with George and Martha - 1891, 1901 - born 1888. That dob fits wth age of 38 on marriage. Can't find her on 1911 she is not with George and Martha.
Doesn't help but adds to the picture.

In 1811 George and Martha lived at Church Street Wormingford Essex. In May 1924 the following entry appears on incoming passenger list from Canada
1580741704658.png
John is 11 months old,

In Aug 1924 there is a return voyage to Canada. No Canadian address is given unfortunately.
1580741933397.png

Last edited:
Back