• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Arthur Flanner

granjay

Brummie babby
I was told my Geatgrandfather Arthur Flanner (born 1855) was killed in an explosion at the gas works. Can anyone help with information He was a glassblower by trade.:confused2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gass works saltly

Thank you both for the information. At least I know now it was not this explosion which killed Arthur Flanner and must be what I have often suspected, an explosion in the Glass works where he was employed unfortunately I have no idea which one.
icon4.gif

There were quite a few Birmingham glass companies and the bggest, if you count Smethwick as Birmingham based, was Chance Brothers. Other notable companies were Osler, Bacchus, John Walsh Walsh and Phoenix.

If you ahve more details on dates and palces, I might be able to suggest likely companies.

Looking through my notes, I see this (my comments in [brackets]):
Messrs. Hawkes's, Sromsgrove [Bromsgrove?] Street, is the largest looking-glass manufactory in the world, more than 300 hands being employed on the premises. A fire which took place Jan. 8, 1879, destroyed nearly £12,000 worth of stock, the turnout of the establishment comprising all classes of mirrors, from those at 2. a dozen [2 shillings?] to £40 or £50 each.

Showell's Dictionary of Birmingham

Could this have been the accident your gt-grandfather died in? He would have only been about 24 though. Even as a glassblower, certain techniques would still have been used to create flat glass for mirrors (surprisingly!)

Birmingham glass manufacturing

Thank you for your information on glass manufacturing however this could not have been the accident which killed Arthur Flanner as he was still alive when the 1901 census was taken. Arthur was born c1854 his address in 1901 was 11 house 6 court Dartmouth Street Aston Thank you for your help

Long time away!! I see from later posts that the explosion was in 1904 and so my Great Grandfather could have been involved.

I have found out that as a glass blower he made glass retorts. Would these have been used in the Gas works?

I have still found no record of his death.

Fair enough.

I'll ask on another forum I frequent (www.glassmessages.com). It is possible that a member here may be able to identify a Birmingham-based glassworks where such an accident was recorded. If the glassworks can be nailed down, this should help you explore further.

Back