• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Art Deco buildings

Great photo Ell and nice addition to this thread. Looks pretty much in its original state, even after refurbishment. Viv.

Thanks Viv. Don't usually walk past it, but I'm not likely to get a bus past it any time soon, also the trees would be in the way.

The Horseshoe pub further up has closed down, and there is all these new green metal fences with guard dog security. Was a van and a tent in the pubs car park.

Centre Court on the Stratford Road in Hall Green after dark. Took this after getting off the bus. Has blue lights on during the evening. Art Deco building.

I used to work in there! My mother also worked in there decades before I did when it was Beacon Insurance.

I used to work in there! My mother also worked in there decades before I did when it was Beacon Insurance.
When I first met my wife she worked in this building for Sun Alliance & London Insurance and she then moved to their office in Bennetts Hill shortly after we were married in 1970.

It was Sun Alliance I worked for too. I was in that building from 82 to 86 & then we moved into the new building on Colmore Row & joined the staff from Bennetts Hill, Cherry Street & the other offices who'd also been moved there.

There were a few people still there from the Beacon days who remembered my mother when she had worked there.

I have happy memories of the building & the people I worked with. Many a lunch break spent in the Bull's Head opposite

Centre Court on the Stratford Road in Hall Green after dark. Took this after getting off the bus. Has blue lights on during the evening. Art Deco building.

Drove past this building on Sunday and was surprised to see wooden hoardings surrounding it and it looked as if it is having a refurb. Windows out and the front looked cleaner (unless that was my imagination). Couldn't stop on Sunday as on my way elsewhere but will try to see this week. Stopping nearby is tricky as Stratford Road at that point is a red route and there is a bus lane outide but will see what I can spot.

I stopped nearby today and this is the bulding at the moment. I have also added a streetview from 2020 (the last available).
Beacon Buildng 2.jpg

Attachments

• Beacon in 2020.JPG
    Beacon in 2020.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Beacon Building 1.jpg
    Beacon Building 1.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Beacon Buildng 3.jpg
    Beacon Buildng 3.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 7
Back