• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

ARP equipment and supplies

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Looking at this WW2 Beehive advert (9/11/1939 Bham Mail) I wondered if air raid wardens were expected to supply their own supplies. There are many items listed which I’d have expected to be supplied by the government such as helmets and torches. Viv.594281D5-E5A9-42A5-85E1-1A5835C3F9BF.jpeg

Last edited:
I would suggest, Viv. that when the advert says ARP Trenchcoats, boots etc they are just implying that they are the same quality as the officially issued items, not that the ARP personnel have to buy their own

Thanks Mike. Very surprised you could get helmets over the counter. This was obviously early on in the War, but I suppose these items wouldn't have been so readily available further into the War, with military production being the priority. Viv.

Back