• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Army service medals

aggyann10

proper brummie kid
During his army career, my Father-in-Law was awarded 8 medals... 1913/45 Star, Africa Star, 8th Army Clasp, Italy Star, Defence Medal, War Medal, Korea Medal and UN Korea Medal. Unfortunately he did what a lot of men did on their return to civvy street. The medals were pawned and never retrieved. As he would have said "what good is a piece of metal when your kids are hungry". We have no hope of getting these medals back, they would be long gone but we would like to obtain duplicates if possible. Would anyone know where we can get them from. Many thanks Eileen

I have just had my grandfathers 1914/18 medals re-made with all his service details, these were lost years ago, as many were, and used these people and they were very good, My own father nailed his medals to the apple tree in our garden when I was very young, (saying thanks for nothing Britain), I have had these remade too. Paul

Recently found out my one and only medal, GSM (Malaya), which I received whilst serving in Singapore with the RAF in 1954 is solid silver (wondered why it was so tarnished) are other medals made of similar precious metals ?. Eric

Back