• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Army Records

Ray Griffiths

master brummie
Can anybody Help a relative of my wife was a Major Albert Chiles (Major is his name not rank.

He enlisted in the Coldstream Guards in1891 and discharged in1903

He was then called up for short service 1917 to 1918 he was posted to a Birmingham barracks of the R E I. W. & D.

Can anybody throw any light on the barracks I assume it is something of thr Royal Engineers?

Also what info could about his service both Coldstream Guards & this regiment.

I would also like Army information for his son also named Major Albert Chiles I believe he served in the Marines WW11 hwas born in 1917 ?.

Ray

hello there, all the records concerning the Coldstream Regiment of Foot Guards are kept at RHQ Wellington
Barracks Birdcage Walk London SW1.They are not computerized and any information has to done manually and
a fee is therefore charged, hope this helps, Bernard Arnold L/cpl retired.

Hi Ray,
Cannot find the Barracks but Major Albert Chiles born Birmingham 1871, as you know was in Aston on the 1871/81 census, in 1891 a Private, number 8387, in the CG at Caterham Barracks. He was in the Boar War and was awarded the following:
The Queen's South Africa (QSA) Medal Clasps: Belmont, Modder River, Dreifontein, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902.

Regards
Clarkie

Hi Ray, Major seniors army record is on Ancestry. I had a quick look through and then put the initials R.E I W & D in a google search and found a Forum asking questions about the initials.
From what I read the initials possibly stand for Royal Engineers, Inland Waterways and Docks and it says most of these were based in Richborough, on the Kent coast near Sandwich.
On the opening page of his Attestation Papers, it mentions Birmingham recruitment office and also has O.G(I think its G) I.W & D R.E Bristol.
T F D Richborough depo is also mentioned on one of the pages.

This is the link to the Forum
https://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47108

Hope this helps

Hi .

Thanks for that information unfortunately this guy lived a very strange life, marrying a girl from Suffolk taking her back to ASTON and some how loosing her a marrying somebody else whilst still married he must have had a bike.

Can I ask where did the information come from about South Africa ?.

Many thanks Ray

Hi Lindy.

I should have known that I was a L/cpl in the Royal Engineers at Southampton 17 Port Regt RE.

Many thanks for all your help Ray

The information about South Africa, came from find my past, it was a transcript of information available from The National Archives. His Army Service Record was not on this site.

Clarkie

Back