• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Army Records -Norman W G Smith

sorry to confuse lynn but as jan said i did mean his full service records i should have made it clearer that i could find his medal and index card just put it down to an age thing :D obviously along with so many others the full service records no longer exist...i will delete some of our chit chat posts about this just to keep the thread tidy

lyn

Last edited:
We got our wires well and truly crossed there Lyn....hope you didn't think I was trying to tell my Grandmother how to suck eggs!!
Lynn.

We got our wires well and truly crossed there Lyn....hope you didn't think I was trying to tell my Grandmother how to suck eggs!!
Lynn.

lol absolutely not lynn...ive been doing this for 11 years and i am still learning :D and there are a lot of members on here that are far better than i am...

My grandfather served with the South Staffs, back when I was researching him I got, from a member here, a history of the regiment's activity through WW1.
It will still be tucked away on here somewhere I expect.

Many thanks for all your help. I also located Norman's wife on BHF a couple of months ago after finding a thread that was created eleven years earlier! (first item on thread refers https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/winson-green-all-saints-asylum.28597/). I thought I had found her from independent research on the 1939 register and when I Googled the address I realised it was an asylum. The search also pulled up the thread on BHF. It was a long shot but as a result of this I have just learned that one of his children is still living and I'm hoping to get in touch with her.

Its been a tragic story as my GFs uncle wanted to take them into the family business back in 1930s but were told, after making enquiries at the Prince Alice Orphanage, that they had been shipped off to Canada. My Dad and Uncle (their cousins) tried to trace them in later life but the trail had gone cold. Seems they never left the country! Its just a shame there is no one left on my Dads side of the family to tell:(

I've spoken to my older cousin about the family history but surprisingly he knows nothing about it! Most of my research information was based on what I could remember from listening in to adult conversations when they thought I was sleeping, though I do recall My Nan saying that Normans wife had been sent to Rubery?

Thanks for sharing your story, what a sad one. I know what you mean about having no one to tell your discoveries to. My Uncle got me started with our family tree but by the time I’d found out some very interesting and surprising facts, he’d sadly developed Alzheimer’s so it meant nothing to him.
lynn

Back